Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

how long does it take to change the records ?

Coldstreamer

Hello

I have been in correspondence with the CWGC since December last to try and get 10339 Brown of the Coldstream Gds commemorated

Does it usually take this long ? Ive sent several documents confirming he died , his service papers, copy medal rolls etc

Just wondering

Ian

How long's the piece of string, Ian?

Much depends on the circumstances. Some that have been put to CWGC through our links with them have been sorted within several days - but these have tended to be the clear cut ones (like a chap dying in service and having the overseas death certificate to prove it). Others will testify that it can take years. Any delay will be with the MoD, not CWGC.

John

Thanks for the reply - Not being on the list of those who died doesnt help !

Although they were very kind and responsive to my letters, emails, etc., even after the members were confirmed by Woolwich and they said they would change them in the online database, it hasn't been done. After almost a year, I sent them an email asking them for a timeline and got no response. This was not for inclusion but correction of unit affiliation. I guess persistence is the best answer (I must try that!)

Mike Morrison

As John said, there is no set timescale.

Is the man an in-service death or post-discharge? What was the standard of evidence? Was the death certificate provided? etc etc.

The MoD has many priorities and dealing with this task is not the highest. The army is the quickest but delays of a year or so are not uncommon. The Royal Marines are slower and the Royal Navy is diabolical with delays of two or three years. The RAF has shut up shop and gone walkabout with no apparent activity at all.

It has also been known for MoD to 'lose' files and the process has to be started all over again.

If you are trying to get a post-discharge man accepted, the wait will be longer than that for an in-service casualty.

hello

died in service

I have sent a copy of his papers and the 14 star roll, he is listed in soldiers died, in the guards book of rememberace and also the guards own record of casualties

problem is, I feel, J Brown 10369 also died and I think J Brown 10339 - and 10339 was over looked as a possible typo

I had good contact with the cwgc to start but they havent replied to any recent emails (perhaps they didnt get rec'd)

Theres no real hurry - its been 90 years but just like to feel Ive done my bit to get him remembered

cheers

Ian

For a man who died in service, the death certificate is usually sufficient. With this, the cases can take as little as two weeks - but not always!

I think you checked the register for me and he isnt on it!

• 7 months later...

I dont even get reply from the CWGC now

This is what I have

Service papers confirming killed in action

14 star roll confirms killed in action

Coldstream roll for Princess Mary Tin confirms missing and then killed in action

Soldiers died (hardback) confirms killed in action

Any one give me another route ?

Thanks

If you email me scans of what you sent from the service record, I will see where it is after Christmas (all shut up shop there now).

SDGW is not taken as authoritative but the other items are good evidence. The death certificate is the sure fire way of speeding up the process. If you get that, it will be the clincher. A death certificate is the only certain way to prove a man died.

I am happy to push this through the GWF system in your name if you wish.

Ill send you a PM

Thanks muchly

• 4 weeks later...

and today he is commemorated

• 12 years later...

his Victory medal is for sale on ebay - I sold on his BWM a while back, hopefully some gets a reunite