Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mountauban 1916

Thomas

I'm ni great lover of Lord of the Rings or any other of Tolkien's books but I'm interested to know of his time in the army. I know that he fought at Mountauban in 1916. But that's as far as it goes.

Can any one tell me his regiment, battalion, brigade and division and some of his history in the army.

Thanks in advance,

From,

Thomas McCall

I believe 11th (Service) Lancashire Fusiliers, 74th Brigade, 25th Division. The battalion fought at Ovillers 7/7-10/7 1916 and 14/7-16/7; Schwaben Redoubt 28/8; Regina Trench 21/10

The Bodlean Library publishes a Tolkien exhibition catalogue that reprduces some of Tolkien's trench maps of the area. Very odd to see the same style used for middle earth! The catalogue is still available from the Bod and is a must for Tolkien collectors.

Simon

You're right it was Ovillers bmac. For some reason I put down Mountauban, compleate lapse of memory from me.

:o

Just realised that my Great Uncle served in same Brigade as him as he was in 13th Cheshire but sadly was KIA 13 May 1916.

Do you know when Tolkein joined the Brigade?

Tony

I have a much older biography, from 1976, by Humphrey Carpenter (Because I too have been a long time fan of JRRT), who knew JRR Tolkien well.

According to this version, JRRT joined 13 Lancashire Fusiliers in July 1915 (though he volunteered earlier under a scheme where he could first finish his degree). Tolkien "went to Bedford and grew a moustache. For most of the time he looked and behaved like any other young officer."

JRR Tolkien was disappointed to be posted to 13Bn. He had hoped to be with 19Bn to be with his good friend, Geoffrey Bache Smith (aka GB).

In August 1915, he moved to Staffordshire "to various camps, with the apparent lack of plan which characterises troop movements in wartime."

Tolkien obviously did not enjoy training or army life. 'There is little to do, except play bridge (which he enjoyed) and listen to the gramaphone (which he did not).' "Gentlemen are non existent among the superiors."

At the beginning of August, he was appointed batallion signalling officer.

He married his long term (but secret) girlfriend, Edith Bratt, on the 22 March 1916 in Warwick RC church.

On 6th June 1916, Tolkien set off to London, from the camp at Great Haywood, and arrived in Calais on the 6th June. It was at Etaples that Tolkien, 'along with many of his fellow officers were transferred to 11Bn LF.'

'Some of the men are from Wales, but most are from Lancashire.'

Years later, Tolkien would admit that "Sam Gamgee [Frodo's friend in LOTR] was indeed a reflexion of the English soldier, of the Privates and batmen I knew in the 1914 war, and recognised as so far superior to myself."

Tolkien was in B Company and first went into action on the 14th July 1916.

Tolkien's friend GB Smith died of wounds 3.12.16. 'Smith had been walking down the road in a village when a shell burst near him; he was wounded in the right arm and thigh. An operation was attempted but gas-gangrene set in. They buried him in Warlencourt British Cemetery.'

Just two days before his death, GB had written to Tolkien, "May God bless you, my dear John Roland, and may you say the things I have tried to say long after I am not there to say them, if such be my lot....."

I'll let Paul Reed tell you more. It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in the biographies, nearly 30 years apart.

As I mentioned on another thread, he rates a mention in the LF Official History's section on the Somme but his name is misspelt 'Tolken'.