Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/16th (County of London) Battalion TF (Queen's Westminster Rifles

shaymen

1/16th (County of London) Battalion TF (Queen's Westminster Rifles)

Feb 1916- March 1919

Any one need a look up just yell.

Glyn

• 1 month later...

Glyn - Thanks for the ‘look-up’ offer. That document has been ‘unavailable’ on my last two visits to Kew!

Would you mind checking for mentions of the following…

Alfred Geoffry BEVILLE

2/Lieut.

KIA 08.04.17

Probably no chance of anything with these two –being ORs – but if you don’t mind looking…

Eric WATERSON

Rifleman 4051 (‘A’ Coy.)’

KIA 09.07.16

Ambrose Joseph ILLINGWORTH

Rifleman 552418

KIA 06.11.17

Thanks,

Wesley

I am interested in the action of 28/29th March 1918 ie the Mars Offensive. I have the History of the 56th Division which is reasonably comprehensive, it places the Queen's Westminstes in Thames Valley trench. Any further details would be welcome, especially mentions of the RFA.

Bob

Alfred Geoffry BEVILLE

2/Lieut.

KIA 08.04.17

Wesley

He is mentioned as being a casualty.

Regards

Glyn

post-5500-1181946066.jpg

post-5500-1181946129.jpg

Eric WATERSON

Rifleman 4051 (‘A’ Coy.)’

KIA 09.07.16

Wesley

Only 1 killed that day - must have been your man.

Regards

Glyn

post-5500-1181946496.jpg

Ambrose Joseph ILLINGWORTH

Rifleman 552418

KIA 06.11.17

Wesley

Not very conclusive

Glyn

post-5500-1181946985.jpg

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob B @ Jun 15 2007, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am interested in the action of 28/29th March 1918 ie the Mars Offensive. I have the History of the 56th Division which is reasonably comprehensive, it places the Queen's Westminstes in Thames Valley trench. Any further details would be welcome, especially mentions of the RFA.

Bob

Bob

Bit too much to scan here (uses up Chris' space) - If you care to PM me your e-mail I will gladly forward you the relevant scans for 28th/29th March

Regards

Glyn

Hi Glyn

Could you look up a Sgt Bulford for me - MM & Bar; looking at the Gazette dates I am sure both awards were for Cambrai in two separate actions; he is mentioned in the History ; would very much like to pin down the actual events for these; he was ex 2/2 londons and a platoon Sgt at cambrai I think

many thanks

Chris

Chris

Any specific months you have in mind - makes looking a lot easier.

Glyn

Hi Glyn

I have a man I'm interested in Rifleman Harry George Stacey who was wounded on the 8th of April 1917 and I wondered if you could let me know where and what the battalion were up to for him to get his wound. I found his records at Kew so I've got a fair amount on him (for his Grandaughter) such as he was sent to hospital in Edinburgh and was wounded in the left hand and right foot. He survived the war being wounded again in 1918 but this time with the 1/9th Battalion which he was posted to after his recovery from the first wound with the 1/16th

Thanks Hambo

Chris

Any specific months you have in mind - makes looking a lot easier.

Glyn

Sorry Glyn

Nov and Dec 1917; partic fighting at Tadpole Copse ( late Nov ) and Moevres (early Dec ); - not sure I've spelt that right Thanks Chris

Chris

PM me your e-mail address and I will forward relevant scans to you, then you can have a look through at your leisure, seems the best way.

Regards

Glyn

Hi Glyn

I have a man I'm interested in Rifleman Harry George Stacey who was wounded on the 8th of April 1917 and I wondered if you could let me know where and what the battalion were up to for him to get his wound. I found his records at Kew so I've got a fair amount on him (for his Grandaughter) such as he was sent to hospital in Edinburgh and was wounded in the left hand and right foot. He survived the war being wounded again in 1918 but this time with the 1/9th Battalion which he was posted to after his recovery from the first wound with the 1/16th

Thanks Hambo

John

Can I refer you to post 4 re: 8th April 1917 B)

If you need the actual scans more than happy to send them.

All the best mate

Glyn

Thanks Glyn, the wounded OR must be my man

Thanks

31 OR wounded B)

• 2 months later...

Glyn

I would be very grateful if you could find any information on my Great Uncle, John Waterhouse, R/43655 K R R C, posted 1/16th Bn London R, KIA 28 August 1918. (Formerly 20586 West Riding Regiment). Incidentally the medal card description on Documents Online has his Regiment No. as R9505 but his actual MIC has 43655. Is this a mistake or would his number have been changed on his transfer to the 1/16th and was there a connection between the KRRC and the 1/16th?

Any details of the events leading up to 28 August 1918 from the War Diary would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Keith

Keith

Not too sure about the numbering, but as for the war diary, if you care to PM your e-mail address I will gladly send you the diary for the whole of August. Plenty going on at the end of the month, and a map.

Glyn

Keith

Not too sure about the numbering, but as for the war diary, if you care to PM your e-mail address I will gladly send you the diary for the whole of August. Plenty going on at the end of the month, and a map.

Glyn

Glyn

Many thanks for the war diary, it has proved most helpful, especially the map.

Regards

Keith

• 8 years later...
On 16/6/2007 at 08:22, chrrip said:

Hi Glyn

Could you look up a Sgt Bulford for me - MM & Bar; looking at the Gazette dates I am sure both awards were for Cambrai in two separate actions; he is mentioned in the History ; would very much like to pin down the actual events for these; he was ex 2/2 londons and a platoon Sgt at cambrai I think

many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris, I know this post was some time ago, but I have the Military Cross awarded to Lt Ormiston who was with Sgt Bulford on the 21st November 1917 at Moeuvres, Cambrai. Sgt Bulford and Lt Ormiston were together that day, and he awarded his MM for the same action. Kind regards Paul