Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is there hope I can find him?

Guest Cas

Dear All:

I would appreciate any guidance you can give me.

My information as follows:

Thomas (Tom) Simpson

Born: 21 Sept. 1875 in Chorlton, Ardwick, Manchester

Wife: Elizabeth Martha/Martha Elizabeth (married in Openshaw, Lancaster)

Service Record: Private

Inducted: Aug. 4, 1914 age 39 years

Discharged: 1918

Rumor states he was in Gibralter

Lancashire Regiment or Cheshire Regiment

His daughter is 98 years old and her memory is fading. She believes her father was in the Lancashire Regiment, but also mentioned the Cheshire Regiment. Which one for certain, I do not know. She isn't sure if her father saw battle as she thinks he pulled a cart of supplies. Her father never spoke of his days in the war, and my Aunt tends to get confused due to her elderly age.

I had been in contact with a researcher, but unfortunatly I can not manage the costs. They were more than I had anticipated. Perhaps in the future.

I would appreciate any help or advice. I understand that Simpson is a very common name.

Sincerely;

Cas in B.C. Canada

Off the top of my head, I think that the 1st (Garrison) Battalion of the Cheshire Regiment served at Gibraltar during the Great War, so your information might fit in.

Garrison battalions were made up of men who were either too old or not fit for front line service. Since your man was relatively old (for a soldier) during the war years, then this might again tie in with what you've been told. He could have originally enlisted in a Lancashire Regiment and been downgraded, hence his transfer into the Cheshires.

Initially, the best way of checking him would be looking up his medal index card at the Public Record Office. This could narrow down your search and confirm the names of the regiments with which he served. If you have no joy, I could arrange this for you (although it might take some time).

Regards,

Jim

Jim is quite right. 1st Garrsion Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers also served in Gibraltar. Chris.

If you write to the Cheshire Regiment Museum they will send you a form to fill out with what you know about and they will research him there is a charge but as far as I remember it isn't too much.

Conor

Dear Jim and Conor;

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for answering me. Two wonderful men you are.

I so appreciate the help you gave me.

If I may ask you a couple of things. I am in B.C. Canada and cannot go to

the PRO to look at Medal index cards.

Is there a way of contacting the PRO or is there someone I may contact to do so on my behalf?

Also, do you gentlemen happen to know the address the the Cheshire Regiment Museum?

Thank you seems so little a word to express my gratitude to you both. I truly appreciate your efforts, help and knowledge.

Sincerely and best wishes to you.

Cas

The Cheshire Regiment Museum, The Castle, Cheshire CH1 2DN it might take them a little while to get back to you (I would really recomend it to anybody I have been twice and I will be back a third hopefully !!!) if you want a researcher for the Medal Index Card try the links page on the site down the very bottom. He may also have gotten a Silver War Badge if so he will be on the roll. If you contact a researcher he should be able to advise you more.

Conor :)

out of interest, I looked for him on the 1881 census, but could not find anyone who matched the details you gave Cas. Best of luck in your search.

If anyone would like me to do any look-ups from the 1881 census, please drop me a line.

Dear Rob;

Thanks so much for answering me and offering your help in regards to the PRO. You say not to hold my breath, heck I am getting good at it. Trying to find information on this man and his family for three years, sure gets me light headed.

I so appreciate your help and knowledge.

Take care!

Cas

• 2 weeks later...

Cas,

Went to the PRO as planned. I have pulled out all of the men who served in the Royal Lancaster Regt and the Cheshire Regt. I could not find any who served in both. By the same token I could not find any Medal index cards marked up to a Garrison Battalion. Here goes:

Pte 33117 Cheshire, received a pair

Pte 240288 R Lancs, received a pair

Pte 10975 Cheshire, received a trio, landed in Balkans 26.6.15

Pte 29135 Cheshire, received war medal only

Pte 56471 Cheshire, received a pair

Pte 12476 Cheshire, received a trio, landed in Balkans 26.6.15

Pte 28510 R Lancs, received a pair, also M/417451 ASC

L/Cpl 13780 R lancs, received a trio, landed France 4.9.15.

It may be some months before I return to the PRO and, if I have time, I will try to look in the remains of the records for some papers.

Sorry, that's all there is to go on so far and sorry there's no definitive identification.

Rob

Hello Cas.

You could try the PRO CAT website at www.pro.gov.uk.

I believe that many records are kept in WO95.

You should be able to access this website from home.

By chance,after some time,i managed to find my Great-Grandads war diaries in this section,and was able to order them online.

If you have a battalion and a Divsion,it seems to make things a little easier.

His age in 1914 would make him more likely to be a garrison soldier,although i have a Great-Grandad who was KIA in 1918 at the age of 36.

Good luck in your search.

Regards.

Simon Furnell.

Guest David Spencer

Minor points that may not make much difference but Chorlton and Ardwick are different places in Manchester Openshaw is also near the centre of Manchester and not in Lancaster. Ardwick is nearer Openshaw.

Dear Rob, Simon and David;

Thanks so much for the information and your efforts! I shall write down all the information you gentlemen have given me and shall look at the website stated.

I shall also say thank you for all the support! It truly is amazing.

Sincerely and best wishes to all.

Cas

Just a thought, but doesnt his joining date of 4 August 14suggest a Territorial battalion. Assuming he was still living in Openshaw, Manchester Regiment would be a more likely bet than one of the various Lancashire regiments.

John

B)

Dear John;

Thank you for contacting me. My Aunt - age 97 (Thomas Simpson's daughter) claims her father was in Gibralter and is not certain if he actually saw battle or not.

In 1905 Thomas married and resided in Openshaw, in 1906 birth of his daughter, they resided at Openshaw, South Manchester and in 1920 at the birth of his other daughter, they resided on Lee's Street in Openshaw. The Sub districts changed over the years.

You will have to pardon me, as I don't know much about this, nor how to even start. I am sorry to say, I have to depend on others.

People like yourself have been just wonderful, everything is appreciated.

Sincerely;

Cas

Cas.

This is taken from "The National Roll of the Great War - Manchester":

"SIMPSON. T. ,Private,South Lancashire Regiment, and Trooper, Pembroke (Castlemartin)Hussars.

He volunteered for service in March 1915 and on completing his training in September that year was drafted to the Western Front where he took part in the Battle of Loos and minor engagements.

In December 1915 he was transferred to Salonika and there saw much severe fighting on the Doiran,Struma and Varda fronts and was present at the capture of Monastir.

He was discharged on his return home in February 1919, and holds the 1914-15 star,and the General service (this was the BWM) and Victory Medals

24,Edmund Street,Openshaw,Manchester. Z8113 "

Could this possibly be him (this is the only T.Simpson mentioned as living in Openshaw). Don't forget ,peoples memories and stories change with time.

Good luck,

Dave.

Dear Dave:

Thank you so much!!!!! Is there by chance (please) any mention of an age, birthdate, wife's name, fathers name, occupation at the time or anything that I can link this man to.

I am amazed that this is the only T. Simpson from Openshaw. Can you please tell me what the number is? Z8113.

Thanks again for your interest and knowledge. As you can tell I am not good at this.

Sincerely;

Carol

Hi Cas.

I'm afraid that what I wrote (word for word) from the national roll is the only information that I have.The number is simply a reference number to his entry in the roll. - Sorry!

Looking at the main site, the 9th Bn.South lancs (part of the 22nd Division) arrived in France in September 1915 and went to Salonika November 1915.This ties in perfectly with the info given in the roll,so I'd bet that the 9/South Lancs.Regt. is his unit.This could give you a start.

I live near to the Queens Lancashire Regiment (an amalgamation of the East,North and South Lancashire Regiments) museum at Preston (there's two museums actually,with various archives locally) and am planning to research a couple of my own relatives here shortly. I'll see if I can look up Pte.Simpson at the same time if you wish.Bear in mind ,however,that they may have nothing as most personal records are held at the PRO (a LONG way from where I live!).

Dave.

Dear Dave;

That would be so nice of you. I would appreciate that very much should you have the time. Your family first!!!

I am as confused as ever on this Thomas (Tom) Simpson.

Thank you again Dave!

Sincerely;

Cas

Cas.

I'll get in touch, direct, in a couple of weeks.

Dave.