Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding of The Kings Soldier 28.02.2006 Langemark

frans

Hi Frans - most interesting. Do you keep records like this on each soldier found, and are they deposited with IFF, Document centre, MMP, or somewhere similar?

Hi Paul,

The documentation center made a map where each soldier which was found is marked. They are still working to make a complete documentation of all the soldiers found on the boezinge area.

Regarding the 6 soldiers who have been found in Langemark we hold the documentation.

Each area is counted apart with 209 soldiers found on the boezinge site and 6 in Langemark.

We hold material for all of the soldiers and are working to make a complete single set of these.

When regiments have been identified the material has been forwarded to the regiments.

For the Kings soldier the museum in Liverpool received a full set of photographs immediately and with the help of Simon Jones the museum and severall others we received the correct information within a few days which would have taken us a long time to find out ourselves.

For any person wanting information regarding soldiers we recovered we are only too pleased to help where we can.

Frans

Thanks for that Frans - good to see it is being recorded and that it is being preserved by institutions in Flanders and passed on to those interested elsewhere. Thanks for taking the time to post this material here; I know from personal experience it is of great interest to many people.

Frans

Once again the Diggers have excelled themselves, bringing another one in from the cold. Congratulations to the De-Diggers team.

John

Three more photo's of items found on the Kings soldier.

495316630_7ceb9826fd_o.jpg

495316744_a485e37872_o.jpg

This item contained a small mirror.

495316666_894a908277_o.jpg

Each item we find is documented by ourselves and a document is made with all the items by the police.

When the police hand over to the home office this list is used, and once again by the handover to the country the soldier belonges too.

Amazing. Really wonderful. This is why I have belatedly joined this forum. I certainly understand the need for respect and good taste. Dignity is so important - believe me I know this from the struggle to get such treatment for a living octagenerian aunt with Alzheimers. But I think it is important to see the superb work you and your friends are doing, Frans. This has made my day.

Good to see your work and the process. Was there anything found that might lead to an identity?

Best

Martin

Frans

Having been with the Diggers on a day when they recovered the remains of a soldier on the Boezinge site I will always remember the absolute respect with which those remains were uncovered. Considering that he was well over the 200th soldier found by yourselves, one could have expected that there might have been a certain amount of familiarity and coldness, in the excavation. However, that was very far from the reality, I certainly wasn't the only one feeling a great deal of emotion at that time.

Having spoken with the Diggers 'on-site' and at the subsequent re-burials I believe that they should be extremely proud of what they do and the professional way in which they do it.

regards

John

Frans and De Diggers

Another soul to be laid to rest with the dignity and respect he so deserves.

May he now rest in peace with his pals - and thank you for the informative identification process that occurs.

With respect to you all

Susan.

• 1 month later...

Frans, just found this, must have missed it before.

good job you are more observant, thanks for all your hard work.

• 1 month later...

Geachte

Ter informatie laten wij u hierbij weten dat de stoffeljjke resten van een onbekende Britse soldaat van het King's Liverpool Regiment op donderdag, 13 september 2007, om 14.00u op de begraafplaats Cement House te Langemark zullen bijgezet worden. Deze soldaat werd gevonden in de Boezingestraat te Langemark.

Hoogachtend

Christine Connerty-Ketels

Administration Supervisor

Commonwealth War Graves CommissionElverdingsestraat 82

B - 8900 IeperTel: 003257223644

I received this email from the CWGC informing De Diggers that the remains of the Kings Liverpool soldiers will be burried at Cement House Cementery on the 13th of september 2007 at 2 o'clock.

I know this is with very short notice but I understand that the CWGC only knew themselves midway last week. They have been waiting for the present day regiment to return from foreign duties.

I understand from the CWGC that the regiment are sending a delegation to attend the funeral.

Frans

Great news Frans

So pleased that thanks to De Diggers he is finaly getting the resting place he deserves.

Andy

In my capacity of the "Northern Ireland Veterans Association" official representative. I will be attending these burials and laying a poppy tribute on behalf of the members of NIVA! I'm sure Frans will post some pictures, but if not, I will post some as soon as possible. As a matter of interest, since march this year, I have attended 9 soldiers burials, 8 x unknowns and 1 x known in the "Ypres Salient". There are others that have been buried with honours in France that I could not attend, so they seem to be popping up all over the place at the moment! It is becoming very busy over here with findings by "The Diggers" and others. A lot of development is happening around Ieper at the moment also. The 4 x diggers burials on Oct 4th, will be quite special as they all are. Best wishes, Chris.

What would we do without Frans and the Diggers whom are dedicated to the job they do so proffessionaly and with the upmost respect at all times. Well done guys keep up the great work you .

Dan

I was very lucky to attend the Burial of the Kings Soldier at Cement House Cemetery yesterday, the Forum was well represented. the ceremony was the conclusion of one episode of De-Diggers efforts, members of De-Diggers were in attendance. Please find my efforts in recording the event.

John

And more.

Still more.

post-1365-1189748239.jpg

post-1365-1189748341.jpg

post-1365-1189748417.jpg

post-1365-1189748462.jpg

And some more, in my previous post I forgot to say that the band in attendance was the West Yorkshire Police Band who played at the Last Post Ceremony on the 12 September.

John

post-1365-1189748899.jpg

post-1365-1189748965.jpg

Here are more photos including Pol from the De Diggers caught taking photographs.

John

post-1365-1189797916.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures with us John !

I too am amazed - at the caring of so many people - for our fallen soldiers !!

Thank you Frans - to you and your team for all that you do !

Annie