Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British and German Wargraves in Hamburg

Malte Znaniecki

My dear friends

I live in Hamburg.

Having had longtime walks with a friend over the great central cemetery of my second hometown during the last years I found a British Cemetery and a German Cemetery of World War One in very close neighbourhood to one another but very, very different in their styles and in their condition today.

The cemetery is called HAMBURG-OHLSDORF CEMETERY (Friedhof Hamburg-Ohlsdorf).

I would like to announce that we shall go to these places during the coming two months once more and will take photographs of each of the cemeteries as well as we will take a picture of every British and German soldiers grave then.

The presentation of these photographs will be to see right here from 1st of August on.

It is going to be a very big and - personally - emotional Topic.

It might go to hearth.

Hamburg, 9th of May 2007

Malte Znaniecki

• 6 years later...

Hi Malte, I was looking at this old thread and wondering if you I can ask for your assistance. I have a chap in Hamburg Cemetery and would like to get at photo of his headstone and some general shots of Cemetery, The purpose of this I am presently working on a project related to the 16th CEF Bn. to document all the causalities of this unit. Can you assist with this or do you have a contact who can help me. Mike C.

I shall be in Hamburg next week and I may get to the main cemetery at Ohlsdorf, which has numerous war graves.

I may be able to take some photos. Send me a personal message if you have any requests. As I say, I can't promise, but there's a fair chance.

Bart

• 2 weeks later...