Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit Movements and Deployments

johnreed

With regards to my other post on L/Cpl Albert Francis Gains 1/18th Bn London Regt (London Irish Rifles) I am trying to find more about about A/200268 Rfn Arthur Edward Gains of 16th Bn King's Royal Rifle Corps who died 12 October 1918 and is commorated on the Vis-En-Artois Memorial, I am trying to find out where his unit was and if it was in action when he was killed. The third brother survived the war he was a Tunneller in the RE's. The problem being is that because all the surnames were GAINS all there records were destroyed in WW2 part of the burnt records.

The problem being is that because all the surnames were GAINS all there records were destroyed in WW2 part of the burnt records.

John, are you assuming that or have you checked it out?

According to the Official History, on 12 October 1918, 100th Brigade (1/9th HLI and 16/KRRC) attacked in area of River Selle. Casualties were suffered from shell fire during the march to the assembly position. These units crossed the river in darkness, and formed up on far bank ready for assault at 5am. Both battalions reached the railway embankment, the 16/KRRC moving beyond it to the next ridge.

Chris

Many thanks for your reply it has helped, I now intend to go to the IWM and in rply to your question I have spent many a fruitless hour at the NA trying to get any more information.

Regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Details of the actions of the 16 KRRC can be found on 4 pages of the chronicle for 1918, pp221-224. the bttn was heavily engaged, and under the list of casualties ( ORs 24dead, 4 DOW, 76 Wounded, 15 Wounded and Missing) it says 'This represents one-third of the numbers that accompanied the Battalion into action'. The CO, Lt Col Pardoe was also injured.

I can have a go at scanning these if you want to email me, as it is rather long to type out.

Regards

Adam

Hi Adam

I went to the NA and viewed the War Diaries for that day plus other information please find attached.

Regards

John

16_KRRC_Event.doc

Hi - I'm new to the list and thought I'd try a reply to the postings on the doings of the 16th (S) Bn KRRC on 10 October 1918. The attachment is a scan from the 1918 "KRRC Chronicle" relating to the 16th KRRC during the period 8 October to 20 October 1918.

Hope it proves helpful.

Irv Mortenson

Where the scan Irv? its not attached.

John