Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit Movements and Deployments

johnreed

I am trying to find out where the 18th Bn London Regt (London Irish Rifles) were on the 7th April 1917. This was the day when my wifes grandfathers brother died, he is commorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, he was 593381 L/Cpl Albert Francis Gains, unfortunately his service records were part of the Burnt Records, the only thing remaining is the medal cards at the National Archives. The records of his two brothers suffered the same fate.

Gains, Albert Francis.

Born Folkstone,

Enlisted Canterbury,

Resided Folkstone.

L/Corporal, Formerly 4561 The Buffs. Killed in action during a trench raid. 7th April 1917. Ravine sector near Ypres.

I'll email the details off forum.

Roger

Roger

Many thanks for your prompt reply, it has filled in a few more holes in the family history.

Once again many thanks. Oh what a great forum.

Regards

John

John,

Your very welcome, it's nice to be able to help other people out when it seems all I've done is ask the questions. :D

The info I sent you came from the regimental museum. I also have two maps they sent me. I will dig them out and send them on. They are black and white photo copies of what were colour maps so are a bit difficult to follow but you'll get the gist.

The reason I am interested in the London Irish Rifles is a lot of years ago I bought a 1914-15 star in a junk/ militaria shop in Malton, North Yorks and the recipitant was Serjeant Digby Garton Duggleby, London Irish Rifles and he too was killed on 7th April 1917.

Roger.

This was a famous raid on the German trenches at Verbrandenmoelen, near the Bluff, in the Ypres Salient. There was an article on it in a back issue of Stand To!, but I have a detailed report of it, and if you email me I will see if I can fish it out.

You might like to know the Borough of Folkestone produced a certificate of service for every man that died. They are about A3 size and rather ornate. The details used to compile them are in the archives of Folkestone Library, and often provide much information about these men.