Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Does anyone have information

ojephson

I’m trying to trace the movements of Reuben Sharp, Gunner, in the RFA 34th Brigade.

He fought in France/Belgium from 18th August 1914 to 20th June 1918. The 34th Brigade, within the 2nd Division, fought on the Western Front from the beginning of war, remaining there until the war end.

Reuben was discharged from the 70th Brigade on 31st January 1919.

Any information much appreciated Marcus Sharp

this is he I presume - Gunner Reuben Sharp 16475

the XXXIVth Brigade was with 2nd Division from Mons onwards and saw some fighting - suffering over 100 casualties in the Mons -retreat and aisne battles ..

Sunday 23rd August 1914 – Givry

50th and 70th Batteries in action near Vellereville-le-Sec. 22nd ....in observation east of Givry. heavily shleld at times during the afternoon, 70th Battery having two howitzer batteries attack it .. Lieutenants Robertson and Durand 70th Battery wounded, 3 NCO’s and men killed 27 wounded.

this is when the Brigade War diary really starts .. and this period is quite well documented with accounts from various perspectives - see for example the 1st Bn KRRC Diary relating to their arrival at Mons. Digging trenches and the action starts - "After Givry we pushed on a couple of miles north-east in the direction of where the German Army was coming and dug some trenches there. Number 70 Battery RFA was on a ridge just to our left. ........... A couple of German aeroplanes came over, spotted the guns' flashes and opened fire. Then Jerry's artillery started searching the ground, which cut one section of my trench to pieces. The gunners had three of their guns knocked out of action but the gunners were jolly good and crawled from one gun to the other and kept them going. As one gun was knocked out, they got into action again…"

Might not Gunner Sharp have been in 70th Battery perhaps (not 70th Brigade??)

For the first 2 years of the war it was part of 2nd Division - It later became an 'Army Brigade' - no longer attached to the 2nd Division and moving all over the place .... but was to work closely with 2nd Division again in 1918 - in actions in March 1918, for example - in which 70th Battery under Major Gaunt was very active, .....and was returned to the 2nd Division in November 15th 1918 -- so it appears often in the standard 'History of the Second Division', ... it gives a pretty full picture with some detailed maps .. ....... they - like the rest of the 2nd Division ended the war not far from where they had started ..

Gunner Sharp would have been a rare unit survivor I suspect -- in another 2nd Division Brigade (41st Brigade) there were 4 veterans of August 1914 in 9th Battery who were there to revisit their positions and graves of comrades in November 1918 -- the only 1914 'original' officer was killed on October 8th 1918 ..

I’m trying to trace the movements of Reuben Sharp, Gunner, in the RFA 34th Brigade.

He fought in France/Belgium from 18th August 1914 to 20th June 1918. The 34th Brigade, within the 2nd Division, fought on the Western Front from the beginning of war, remaining there until the war end.

Reuben was discharged from the 70th Brigade on 31st January 1919.

Any information much appreciated Marcus Sharp

My Uncle, 2nd Lieutenant Gordon Ince, was also a member of the 34th Brigade RFA, 50th Battery, serving with them from April 5, 1918 to September 17, 1918 when he was wounded, hit in the back by a MG bullet .

I am also inerested in the movement of the 50th Battery during this time and the associated actions that they would have been involved in, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Bill