Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No.6 Reserve Brigade Artillery

bdmurphy

Sorry No children in the house to work the comfuser.

I hope to have attached a transcript of a letter found in my g fathers diary of 1918. I would welcome any comments on the content. I am currently working on three diaries of Bernard Murphy listed as 2nd lt in this letter however I believe that he was in the ranks during 1915.

Any help welcomed.

thanks and regards

Dave

Orders_for_Grandfather.doc

Dave

Not much I could say about the letter if you were hoping for some leads from it ! However the name is enough to push you on a bit further.

There is an entry in WO372/14 (Medal Index Cards) for your GGF showing a few details:

He was No 1397 and listing 4 lines of rank,so he had the ranks of:

Bombardier

2 Lieutenant

Lieutenant ,and again,

Lieutenant.

The MIC image reference is 154341/30287 and you can download it for 3.50 from the NA Catalogue. It is also possible that he has a personal file under WO339 which you will need to search for in the Catalogue.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Dave

There are 3 Officers with no rank listed in WO339 under the name of B MURPHY and one other who is shown as a Captain which I won't list though he may have made it late on in the War !

WO339/ 50382 ; 339/64129 ; 339/69905

If he is one of these I would bet on it being one of the 6---- numbers.

Oh alright then, Captain 339/11869,but he looks like he was commissioned a lot earlier !

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Many thanks for your help I will progress that route and as I gain more from the diaries I hope to be able to contribute to the forum for the benefit of others.

best regards

Dave