Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Units serving in mesopotamia

I am trying to find information about my Great Grandfather, William McDonald. I know he served with the iith Hussars as a cavarlyman and fouhgt in the Battle of Mons. Information I have managed to get through the family says that he transferred to a 'machine gun unit" and fought in Mesopotamia "with T.E Lawrence" (his name is mentioned at the back of the Seven Pillars of Wisdom). Can anyone help me understand which units served in this campaign as I have no idea which unit he transfered to. Another family story is that he was one of the first to use the 'new' Rolls Royce armoured cars....

Any help greatly appreciated.

Lesworth,

T E Lawrence did not take part in the campaign in Mesopotamia, but was involved with the Arab Revolt in Arabia and the Palestine campaign. In May 1917 the Hedjaz Armoured Car Section was formed to serve under him. It initially consisted of two Rolls-Royce armoured cars. In December 1917 it was strengthened by another two cars from No 1 Light Armoured Car Brigade, which was based in Egypt. The remaining cars of 1 LACB joined the Hedjaz unit in June 1918 and it was retitled the Hedjaz Armoured Car Battery. It was disbanded at Suez in October 1918 and 1 LACB was reformed. This served in Palestine and in 1919 moved to Persia. It was absorbed by No 4 Armoured Car Company, Tank Corps in June 1920.

It would therefore seem that your great grandfather served with the Hedjaz Armoured Cars, either from their original formation or joined them from 1 LACB. If he was in Mesopotamia, it was after 1918.

The war dairy of the Hedjaz Armoured Car Battery is found under WO 95/4415 at the Public Record Office and a good first hand account is S C Rolls `Steel Chariots in the Desert' Jonathan Cape, London, 1937. Rolls drove one of the armoured cars and often carried Lawrence himself.

Hope you find this of help.

Charles M

Lesworth,

Rumour has it that T E Lawrence did have a brief involvement in the Mesopotamia. After Major-General Townshend's 6th (Poona) Division was besieged at Kut el Amara, Lawrence is reputed to have made a journey to try to bribe the Turkish commander to release the division - without success.

If you find out that he was involved in this I would be very interested to hear more...

Brendon Moorhouse.