Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Willie McBride

Guest KevinEndon

I'm with those who generally find it all a bit ... flowery.

That's a bit polite Des! :lol:

As I said in my post - I'm glad I've heard it now as I can now avoid it with impunity and relegate it to being on a par with that pile of crap that Mike Harding wrote about the Accrington Pals! :ph34r:

Dave.

Got it in one, Malcolm! :lol:

Dave.

It may be too 'flowery' for some but the hairs on my neck rose when I first heard it. It was during a radio program on CBC radio on a broadcast on a November 11th some 15 years ago. I had to phone the station and get the name of the song and the artiste. It was a version by John McDermott, a Canadian/ Irish tenor. For those who want to hear his version, go to the youtube link in post 17 and drop down from the Fureys to John McDermott.

During the Furey's version there was a clip of what looked like a recent movie, anyone know what it was?

It may be too 'flowery' for some but the hairs on my neck rose when I first heard it. It was during a radio program on CBC radio on a broadcast on a November 11th some 15 years ago. I had to phone the station and get the name of the song and the artiste. It was a version by John McDermott, a Canadian/ Irish tenor. For those who want to hear his version, go to the youtube link in post 17 and drop down from the Fureys to John McDermott.

I listened to John McDermott, enjoyed it, but a big mistake as I diverted to "A tribute to the Anzac Kiwis" (good photo of John McCrae in there, he of 'in Flanders Fields'), then on to Dropkick Murphys with a non-rugby version of Fields of Anthenry, which in turn led me to the Dubliners, at which point I had to hastily log out so I could not be further diverted.

Cheers

Shirley

Hi

I will duck for cover in a short while, but just feel I need to point out that Eric Bogle is an artist and not an historian and therefore i have never taken his song literally as a record of a visit to a single grave, although the song is centered on "young Willie McBride". For me it is a grieving reaction to the magnitude of the slaughter of the Great War. I can even tolerate the bit about it all being in vain - a point I disagree with most strongly - because I reckon that the song is not meant to be taken literally and is more about the singers feelings than the accurate portrayal of the real events.

If this offering from Eric Bogle has pricked up your ears, try "The band palyed 'Waltzing Matilda'", also covered by the Pogues, a song about an Aussie who comes out of the bush and becomes an ANZAC, gets shipped off to Gallipoli where he see his mates die in their thousands and then gets his legs taken off by a "big Turkish shell". He is sent home to an anonymous homecoming where people shun his suffering and then he lives his life in bitterness and longs for his old life of wandering in the bush. This one really will make you cry!

For those with a sense of humour, try "Plastic Paddy" a song about an Irish pub in the French Quarter of New Orleans and its failing attmpts to offer the true "Craic".

Eric Bogle has a website which can be found at the other end of a Google on "Eric Bogle" funnily enough! Enjoy.

Now ducking for cover

Cheers,

ps.... I'm with Dave on the Accrington Pals song!

Nigel

Hi

I will duck for cover in a short while, but just feel I need to point out that Eric Bogle is an artist and not an historian and therefore i have never taken his song literally as a record of a visit to a single grave, although the song is centered on "young Willie McBride". For me it is a grieving reaction to the magnitude of the slaughter of the Great War. I can even tolerate the bit about it all being in vain - a point I disagree with most strongly - because I reckon that the song is not meant to be taken literally and is more about the singers feelings than the accurate portrayal of the real events.

If this offering from Eric Bogle has pricked up your ears, try "The band palyed 'Waltzing Matilda'", also covered by the Pogues, a song about an Aussie who comes out of the bush and becomes an ANZAC, gets shipped off to Gallipoli where he see his mates die in their thousands and then gets his legs taken off by a "big Turkish shell". He is sent home to an anonymous homecoming where people shun his suffering and then he lives his life in bitterness and longs for his old life of wandering in the bush. This one really will make you cry!

Nigel

Agree with you wholeheartedly about music, artist and portraying a grieving reaction.

Chris sang 'and the band played Waltzing Matilda', (all the verses) at a pub in Doolin (sp?) where everyone who wanted could get up and sing, and we were all wiping our eyes! He was given free guiness which made him extremely happy

Cheers

Shirley

I think Bogle's "Gift of Years" is his best - one of the Pals (Blackblue?) had the lyrics as his signature for a while. I've seen him twice at the Lowry and at Biddulph, and its a good evening. So next time he's at the Lowry, Croonaert, see you there!

Just to cheer you up, on U Tube, type in Redgum I was only 19, then Cold Chisel Khe San (vietnam war)

Now who is ducking for cover :lol:

Cheers

Shirley

So next time he's at the Lowry, Croonaert, see you there!

I very much doubt it, Richard! :lol:

I agree about "Gift of Years" though - The lyrics are good - so long as he doesn't bloody sing them!!!!

Dave

Just beautiful, about the 6th version I have heard to day, so going to go and have some light relief and watch "ultimate force" :o

Which one of these was the Willie McBride mentioned in the Green Fields Of France

The song says he was 19 in 1916 and here are the only two possibles from the CWGC.

McBRIDE, W Private 21406 10/02/1916 Unknown Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers United Kingdom A. 36. AUTHUILE MILITARY CEMETERY

McBRIDE, WILLIAM JOHN Rifleman 1442 02/07/1916 Unknown Royal Irish Rifles United Kingdom Pier and Face 15 A and 15 B. THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Kevin

Within the last three weeks I have had a reply to an enquiry I made to the songwriter Eric Bogle who now resides in Australia...he clearly states that he made the name up. So contrary to popular belief neither of the two soldiers buried in Authuille Military Cemetery are the soldier mentioned in the Song.

Charlie McDonald - the Glesga Keelie

He must tell a different story every time then ...

BY the way 'Bonnie Woodgreen' is a far superior .. and contemporary song. In fact, I am wrong, there is also a Boer War version of it too.

Guest frankstone
In fact, I am wrong, too.

Des d moaner.

Several times on this discussion alone!

Dolly Grey has an extremely large quota of fans over here, despite tge recurrance of dire situations.

As Eric Bogle is now an Australian, your antipathy is challenging Max for Äussie-basher of 2007.

Sorry! that's NOT QUITE TRUE

Mordy's mate Frank

BY the way 'Bonnie Woodgreen' is a far superior .. and contemporary song. In fact, I am wrong, there is also a Boer War version of it too.

I couldn't find Bonnie Woodgreen on U tube <_<:)

Cheers

Shirley

Bonnie Woodgreen

Down by the green bushes of Bonnie Woodgreen

Where me and my true love so oftimes have been

As the days they rolled onward so happy were we

Ah, but never she thought that a soldier I'd be.

It was early one morning as the lambs they did play

'Twas off to Kells Barracks, I there made my way

To enlist in the army and fight for my King

And I bid my farewell to Bonnie Woodgreen.

Our ship at Larne Harbour sat ready to sail

And mothers were weeping and sisters looked pale

There was singing and dancing all happy and gay

Ah, but little they thought of the lads far away.

It was 'way out in Flanders at the back of the line

They were talking of sweethearts they all left behind

When one Irish soldier says, "I have a queen,

And she works in John Ross' of Bonnie Woodgreen."

It was early one morning while facing the foe

A shot from the enemy this young lad laid low

He called for his comrades, it was a sad scene

"Say good-bye to my Nellie and Bonnie Woodgreen."

So if ever to Ulster you chance for to stray

There's a neat little fact'ry near Ballynafeigh(?)

Where there's weavers and winders all rosy and clean

And they all wear white aprons in Bonnie Woodgreen.

The Green fields of France is a fantastic testament to the youth of 1916 and that whole general era. Even if Wullie McBride was just a name that rymes with graveside is irelevent because he keeps us thinking with visions of France and Flanders which helps keep the memory of all the fallen fresh and current. Although Eric Bogle I dont think ever expected this little song to become such a favorite and penned it honestly. This has left us with one of the best reminders of that time. By the way The Corries by far did the best version.

TOM

Boer war version

Bonny Woodgreen

(With a verse on Africa)

Down amongst the green bushes

In bonny Wood Green,

Where me and my true love

It was often were seen.

As the years they rolled by,

Oh it was happy were we.

It was little she thought

That a soldier I'd be.