Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who would have gone via Durban?

Jackie

Does anybody have any specific info on which units/divisions or anything else that might have been sent to German East Africa via Durban?

I'm trying to find my Grandad, and need to get as much info as I can before I go to the PRO in January.

I know he told the family that Durban was the most beautiful place he had ever been to, and the only way he would have seen it was with the army. I presume he saw it when he was sent over there, as he was sent back to Ireland with malaria, and I don't think he would have hung about doing the tourist bit with a bad dose of that.

I haven't got much to go on, but anyone information would be appreciated. Several people have given me ideas on which regiment he might possibly have been in, but I thought this might be a way of narrowing the field a bit.

Thanks

Jackie

Jackie,

Probably the easiest way is to get his Medal index card ( assuming you know his name and easier if you know his number too) at the pro from which you will be able to get his regiment. You may also need to consult the medal rolls to get his battalion but having got that information you can then consult the war diary for his battalion.

Simon

which units/divisions or anything else that might have been sent to German East Africa via Durban?

I don't know of anything specifically this way round but the war diary of the 25th Bn Royal Fusiliers shows that they did it the other way round, embarking at Dar Es Salam en route for S. Africa. It would appear that there was an Imperial Rest Camp in Durban on Marine Parade which they used before entraining for Wynberg and Cape Town, and vice versa.

As Simon pointed out the medal index card and medal rolls at the PRO will be your best way of finding which Regiment he was with.