Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Demonstration Trenches at Dirty Bucket Camp

kerry

Does anyone have any info on the set of trenches and dugouts apparently set up to represent German trenches, as a training simulator, in the woods near Dirty Bucket camp 3 kilometres NW of Vlamertinge?

Kerry

I can't help with the specifics of the training simulator but the author AM Burrage in his book"War is War" (under the name Ex-Private X) describes Dirty Bucket Camp thus:

"It was aptly named. It was a canvas camp with the tents standing like a dingy flotilla of fishing boats riding at anchor in a sea of Flanders mud.

There, where we were supposed to be "resting", we went through the same old "training." Much button and buckle polishing and rifle cleaning were followed by eight or nine hours of physical jerks, squad drill, bayonet fighting, bomb throwing, and the whole dreary round of it which we knew by heart to the point of sickness."

Terry Reeves

I think that before all British offensives, demonstration trenches and scale models etc of the ground that was to be attacked, were made in the camps behind the front. If you know what division was there on what date, then you can have an idea of what was made in scale in the camp.

Jan

It's mentioned in Blunden and Campion-Vaughan, plus many regimental histories.

Dirty Bucket Camp was used as a POW cage at the end of the war and into 1919 - good old Jacky found me a photo of it on Ebay once. If I remember, I will post it here if of interest?

Yes if you could post it on the forum it would be brilliant I know a person whos grandfather was there in 1918 he was a officer I think they stayed in a nearby chateau.

Conor

I hate to tell you mate but in my opinion the 'highest' in rank on this Forum should have the honour. Chris as webmaster doesn't count and I only see one Captain: guess who :P:P

Hi Paul

You obbiously forgot that the officers went over the top first and dosen't that also apply to the Bar and the men follow

Cheers

Brin Talmer :lol::rolleyes::D

• 1 month later...

They were all kept until the Versailles treaty was signed. I guess the last ones were released in early 1920.

The German prisoners were used to clean up the battlefield, lay out cemeteries etc.

Jan

Excellent,

now that you've discussed who will be first to buy what for whom, would some kind soul answer my question pleasei.e. a grid ref or similar location indicator? Thanks,

Yours in Thirst

Kerry

At your service Kerry.

I have three mentions od Dirty Bucket:

1) Dirty Bucket Camp: sheet 28 NW1 A30a 4.2

2) Dirty Bucket Corner (crossroad of the hamlet): sheet 28NW1 B19c 2.7

3) Dirty Bucket Sidings:sheet A24d 9.2

Dirty Bucket hamlet (in Flemish 'Vuile seule') is situated on the territory of Vlamertinge near Ieper.

Jacky

Many thanks Jacky - do you happen to know if the area where the camp was can be visited - or do I need to seek prior permission of the landowner?

Kerry

Thanks Jacky,

sorry for this next predictable question - do you happen to know who that might be?

Kerry

• 2 weeks later...

"After a day or two we moved up by way of Hospital Farm and Dirty Bucket Corner to Siege Corner Camp - a dirty muddy place. Just off the Ypres main raod i got HQ on a respectable bit of ground near a stream and a big old farmhouse. Our forward HQ was amost unhealthy place, continually shelled and reached across the mud by duck-boards - also continually shelled...the men and horses all lived in the utmost sqaulor and discomfort. Belgium was in every way terrible and a thousand times worse than France." Jack Fairfax-Blakeborough, a Horsemaster who established stables in the area in the autumn of 1917.