Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

information sought please SWB No 246070

kaisersoffensive

Hello All

I have recently aquired the following items a 1914-15 Trio, silver Identity Bracelet and a Silver War Badge, all in mint condition to the above officer.

The MIC cards give only 1 Arthur Otto Groom .He served as a Lt in the K.O.S.B. , a Lt in Naval Forces and finally a Captain in the Dorset Reg and in S. Lancs.Regiment.

I have managed to download some info from the London Gazette search facilities. Temp Lt 5th Oct 1914. Temp Lt Royal Naval Division 18th March,1915.He is then mentioned as Lt Arthur Otto Groom ,R.M. to take up temporary Commissions in the R.Naval.Volunteer Reserve.

The 1914-15 star is named Lt.A.O. Groom R.N.Vol.Res. as are the War and Victory medals.

Through the kindness and help of fellow members I have been supplied with more personal details.It seems that on several ocassions he has had to relinquish his commission on account of ill-health contracted on active service.

My questions then are these;

I had always assumed that the No on a R.N. wound badge was prefixed by the letters RN (not so on his being solely 246070)

Is there a SWB role which would give details of wounds received etc., and where might this information be obtained?

Any help as always much appreciated.

Regards,

Bob Norman

Groom was originally appointed Lieutenant RM in March 1915 (ex-8/KOSB) and Lieutenant RNVR in April 1915. He joined Nelson Battalion RND on Gallipoli in the July 1915 reinforcement draft. Groom was admitted to 19th General Hospital in Alexandria on 29 Oct 1915 with dysentery. In December he was invalided to England in HS GASCON and on 26 December was admitted to Haslar Hospital with "shell concussion and deafness" added to his list of woes. He was discharged from Haslar at his own request on 8 Jan 1916 and was surveyed on a couple of occasions up to Apr 1916 when he was assessed fit for duty. On 17 May 1916 his appointment to the RND was terminated when he was appointed to HMS PRESIDENT as an Admiralty Despatch Carrier.

He was awarded a Hurt Certificate "being then upon HM Service in action in the Gallipoli Pen. was injured on 12 Oct 1915 by the explosion of an enemy shell which caused concussion. He states that since the injury he has had constant tumitus Amium [sic. I think this should be 'tinnitus aurium'] of right ear."

I copied this ages ago but cant remember where I pinched it from but it may be of some use

"The Silver War Badge is not a medal or decoration, however record of it's being awarded to any officer or man (and later women) is included with his service medal records, and details given in the SWB rolls can add significantly to knowledge of the man's service. There are, by the way, probably more "silly stories" told about the SWB than anything else associated with the service medal records - and almost as many variations of what public-bar experts will tell you its called; "Silver Discharge Badge", the "Wounded Badge" etc., etc., - no end of variations - I've even seen it refered to as the "Silver Warrior Badge" !

The award was introduced by Army Order AO316 of 1916, titled "Silver War Badge", which initially stipulated that the award was available to Officers and OR's of the British, Indian, and Overseas Forces: - (nb - the identity of a recipient of a SWB can normally be established from the serial number on the rear of the badge, no other information is needed)

"Who have served at home or abroad since the 4th August, 1914, and who on account of age, or physical infirmity arising from wounds or sickness caused by military service have, in the case of Officers, retired or relinquished their commissions, or, in the case of men, have been discharged from the Army." These conditions were later expanded, most significantly to include the women's services. (Nb - by order of the Army Council the Silver War Badge could not be awarded to a soldier or ex-soldier who was an inmate of an Asylum [men certified as suffering "general paralysis of the insane", etc], and requests for such issues from next of kin etc were turned down with advice that the man should reapply if and when he was discharged).

The rolls for the Silver War Badge generally record the man's date of enlistment and discharge, whether he was discharged as the result of being wounded or through age or "sickness", and often give his age at time of discharge. It was not necessary for an Officer or OR to have had overseas service in order for him to qualify for the SWB, so home service can be established if no service record survives. The badge was to be worn on the right breast when in civilian dress - it was forbidden to wear it on military uniform. The War Office covering note which was issued with SWB's warned that if lost it would not be replaced, but when SWBs were handed in at Police stations (etc) they were returned to the WO and if the original recipient could still be traced at his / her discharge address then the badge was returned to them."

Appologies to thre auther of this article for not referencing it correctly