Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Were Remains found outside Ancre British Cemetery

Peter Woodger

Hi

I seem to remember that some burials were found just outside Ancre British Cemetery in the last few years. Can anyone remember?

Peter

Peter,

If I remember correctly a few years back a farmer discovered the entrances to a series of dug-outs whilst improving access to his fields on the road to the Ancre cemetery from Beaumont Hamel. I believe they were filled in pretty quickly as they were considered dangerous to the public (intrepid explorers and treasure hunters more like). I do not recall there being any remains associated with the discovery though.

Regards

Steve

Remains were found near the railway level crossing near the cemetery 7 or 8 years back.

From memory, by the time the Gendarmes arrived, the remains had been picked clean of anything that may have aided identification.

Thank you Steve and Dereck for your replies. I thought I remembered that CWGC workmen found remains whilst repairing the walls of Ancre cemetery, but my memory is not what it was.

Peter

• 9 months later...

I can now answer my own question.

Michael Renshaw, is his book Beaucourt (Battleground Europe) states on page 148

“In 1996 it was widely reported that electricity workers installing a new sub station had unearthed 4 bodies. One body was Black Watch, one Worcestershire, one an Irish Regiment and one too badly burnt to determine his regiment. When it came to exhume the bodies CWGC could only find 3, the Irish body was missing. The three bodies were buried in Ancre British Cemetery”

The Photo attached shows the three burials in Plot I Row B. They are next to an Unknown who was there before but their graves are not numbered, the next grave in the row is B2.

Question 1 Where is the Sub station

Question 2 Renshaw, writing in 2003 says that the Worcester Evening News was trying to identify the Worcestershire body and had reduced the possibilities to 10. Any knowledge of progress.

post-14342-1204799954.jpg

Nigel

Thank you for that, I shall look with camera in hand when I am next there in May

Peter