Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA officer's uniform identification needed please

wilkokcl

I would be grateful if someone could tell me what the insignia is on this sleeve of an officer in the RFA. Above his rank are 4 arrow shaped stripes/shevrons? What did they denote?

Much appreciated, Mark

post-7757-1178311775.jpg

post-7376-1178313691.jpg

Same as these overseas "service chevrons". Apolgies to Chris the owner of the photo, but it was such a clear shot of these particular chevrons.

Graham.

One stripe for each year in which he served overseas. The 1914 stripe was red and the others were blue. It may be my imagination but is the top stripe slightly different in tone to the others (=1914??)

Ian

One stripe for each year in which he served overseas. The 1914 stripe was red and the others were blue. It may be my imagination but is the top stripe slightly different in tone to the others (=1914??)

Ian

Not quite right - basically, you qualified for the first the day you stepped overseas, and didn't get the next one until a year later (a search of the forum will reveal many more detailed threads on the subject).

I would be grateful if someone could tell me what the insignia is on this sleeve of an officer in the RFA. Above his rank are 4 arrow shaped stripes/shevrons? What did they denote?

Much appreciated, Mark

post-7757-1178311775.jpg

And you might already know, but the rank of the officer in question is Major (three rows of horizonal braid around the cuff, and one Crown in the triple pointed area).

Thanks everyone for your informative and fast response: I love this Forum :)

So if i know this chap landed in France in 1915 and he has 4 stripes, this must be......1918.

Mark

It might be 1919 or even 1920 or later; I have forgotten when they ceased to be worn. In any case I don't think that the chevrons were issued until quite late in the war - there will be a definitive answer somewhere on the forum or on the mother site - try searching on overseas service chevrons or overseas service stripes.

Ian