Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Devonshire Royal Garrison Artillery

bigronhartley

Hello,

Seeking information on the deployment of the Devonshire Royal Garrison Artillery (No's 1 and 2 Heavey Batteries) during the Great War. Any information about changes in Name or Battery Numbers, Brigades or Divisions that they served with would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Regards

Ron

As far as I can determine the Devon RGA (TF) never went overseas, but along with No. 36, 38, 45 and 41 Companies, RGA were part of the defences of the Defended Port of Plymouth.

Dick Flory

Devon RGA (TF), costal defence battery.

1908 pre war No 1 Heavy Battery Devonshire RGA TF originally based at Ilfracombe with a detachment at Lynmouth

Similarly No 2 HB based at Devonport with detachments at Plymouth and Salcombe.

Their HQ moved to Lambhay Hill Plymouth, and the two heavy batteries and six companies as one of the defended Ports units; became No 1 and No 2 Coy’s and mobilised for coastal Defence in 1914, but as Dick said were based in UK through out 1914-1918

1919 placed in suspended animation.

Rgds Paul

Hello Dick,

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I thought that might be the case, I've searched for details of their deployment, but without success. Do you happen to know if large drafts of men from the Devon RGA (TF) were posted to form the nucleus of other Batteries ? Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Ron

4th Wessex Brigade RFA (TF) was formed from detachments of 1st Devon RGA, though this was pre war. Re-numbered 218 Bde RFA in 1916. They served in India and later in 1919 on the N W Frontier

I don't know whether this helps, but I have seen only one record for a Devon gunner-834/329054 Balment Walter. I will attach the pertinent record which shows, I think, that at least for this gunner he served overseas. India?? Nearly impossible to read. May just muddy the water.post-14294-1178299323.jpg

This may be the RFA that Paul referred to but I cannot see it mentioned anywhere on his records.

Kevin

Iron Duke,

As previously stated Devon R.G.A. did spend it's time in the UK throughout the Great War and here's a brief resume';-

Devonshire RGA

H.Q.-Lambhay Hill, Plymouth, Devon.

No.1 Heavy Bty - Ifracombe, Devon with Drill Station at Lynmouth. Reorganised as 1/1st Devon H.B., R.G.A.(T.F.).

No.2 Heavy Bty - Devonport, Devon with Drill Stations at Plympton & Salcombe. Reorganised as 2/1st Devon H.B.,R.G.A.(T.F.).

No.1 Coy - Devonport(Not in existence pre-1914, but mentioned in AO 287/1918. Presumed not reconstituted in 1920). Served in 2, 3 or 4(Devon & Cornwall)Fire Command,RGA.

No.2 Coy - Devonport.(Not in existence pre-1914, but mentioned in AO 287/1918. Presumed not reconstituted in 1920). Served in 2, 3 or 4(Devon & Cornwall)Fire Command,RGA.

No.3 Coy - Plymouth. Served in 2, 3 or 4(Devon & Cornwall)Fire Command,RGA.

No.4 Coy - Plymouth. Served in 2, 3 or 4(Devon & Cornwall)Fire Command,RGA.

No.5 Coy - Devonport.(Not mentioned in AO 287/1918, thought to have lapsed with personnel going to New Army Heavy or Siege Bty's).

No.6 Coy - Devonport.(Not mentioned in AO 287/1918, thought to have lapsed with personnel going to New Army Heavy or Siege Btys.

48th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. formed at Portsmouth 30/7/1915 from personnel of Devon R.G.A.(T.F.). Additional sections added with break-up of 377th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. on 5/7/1917. Disbanded 1919.

117th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. formed Plymouth 3/3/1916 from personnel of Devon R.G.A.(T.F.). Disbanded 1919.

Thats all I can find.

Graham.

Hello Kevin,

Thanks very much for the record of Devon gunner-834/329054 Balment Walter. I think that this gunner was most probably Devonshire RFA . Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron

Hello Graham,

Thanks very much for your very comprehensive resume of the Devonshire RGA (TF). Do you happen to have access to Army Orders ? I've never been able to find a decent run of them, just odd ones. Thanks again for your time and effort, it is a big help.

Regards

Ron

Ron,

Sorry not for 1918, and I only have a complete run for 1911. Try and e.mail the IWM Library as they have them and are usually pretty good on enquiries like this.

Graham.

Hello Graham,

Thanks for the tip. I'll try the IWM Library for future enquiries.

Regards

Ron

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for your last post, he's definitely a Devonshire RGA (TF) man. Have you managed to decypher his service details ? It's a bit feint, let me know what you think it says and I'll see if I can confirm your interpretation.

Regards

Ron