Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Soldier 16th Battalion RIR

shancrom

Iam carrying out a search on Rifleman John Martin, 16th Pioneer Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, service number 16/336, John is listed as died 03/04/1918 and is buried in St Sever Cementry Extension Rouen, 16th Battalion was a Co Down Battalion, i have in my possesion his memorial Plaque ,which came from a house in Belfast, any info much appreciated.

• 5 months later...

Hi

I am also trying to trace information on the 16th battalion ROYAL IRISH RIFLES who were formed in Lurgan Co Armagh.

I wonder can anyone help me identify this photograph of my great uncle Archibald Lyness from Lurgan he also belonged to the 16th battalion ROYAL IRISH RIFLES he was from Drumgor just outside Lurgan.

When he joined the 16th battalion ROYAL IRISH RIFLES he was already wearing his Sergeant Stripes.

Douglas

post-6865-1191676749.jpg

HI

I AM ASLO RESEARCHING THIS BAT: MY GREAT UNCLE FROM DRUMGOR NEAR LURGAN WAS WITH TIS REGIMENT.

I HAVE A NOTE OF A JOHN MARTIN, NASSAU ST BELFAST 1901 CENSUS, WOULD THIS BE CONNECTED

DOUGLAS.

JOHN MARTIN, NASSAU ST BELFAST

Sex:

male

Relgion:

Presbyterian

Marital Status:

single

card cutter factory

Birth Place:

Belfast

Education:

r+w

Drumgor - suggest you post your cap badge pic etc under a new thread in 'uniforms and equipment' - go for a title: Cap badge help needed? Should get the experts in.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE.

I ALSO HAVE A BRAVERY CERTICATE FOR ARCHIE LYNESS, WOULD THERE BE ANY DOUCUMENTRY EVIDENCE FOR THIS EVENT, IT READS THE FOLLOWING:

THIS CETIFICATE IS AWARDED TO No.924 RIFLEMAN A. LYNESS 16TH BAT ROYAL IRISH RIFLES FOR GALLANTRY IN RESCUSING WOUNDED MEN ON THE 1ST AND 2ND OF JULY 1916, FROM NO MANS LAND AT HAMEL.

DOUGLAS.

Hi

These are his details:

Name: MARTIN, John

Regiment, Corps etc.: Royal Irish Rifles

Battalion etc.: 16th Battalion.

Last name: Martin

First name(s): John

Initials: J

Birthplace: Belfast

Enlisted: Lurgan, Co. Armagh

Residence: Belfast

Number: 336

Date died: 03 April 1918

How died: Died of wounds

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes:

Regards

Hi, Drumgor & Shancrom

Regarding the 16th RIR the first thing if you haven't already is to read two books-

'Road to the Somme' by Phillip Orr, which is based on the formation and training of the Ulster Division and which, by strange coincidence, is dedicated to his great uncle called John Martin, but not the one you are interested in Shancrom. Although they both appear to be original members by the look of their service numbers. Also the dates they were killed is quite close.

Lots of mentions of the 16th in this book.

Then there is the book 'The Terrors- the history of the 16th Service Battalion of the Royal Irish Rifles'.

This is an account of the battalion from formation until the end, written by the son of one of the Officers, named White.

Both books were printed some time ago. I think you can still get the 16th History from places like the 'Somme Association'.

Road to the Somme is hard to get hold of now, but i recently got a copy off e-bay. Can be pricey though.

The history is best for names of individual soldiers and dates. Lots of lists.

Regarding the certificate, i would imagine the is the Ulster Division certificate, with the picture of the two soldiers on it. One a 'Tommy' and the other in the old Colonial uniform.

These were issued directly by the CO of the Division based on recommendations from Battalion, when perhaps a medal could not be issued due to limited witnesses.

The records for these, as far as is known, no longer exist.

Rob

HI ROB

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION.

DOUGLAS.

Hi Wull,

Could you advise me what SDGW is and also would you check this information, Archie was born in the townland of Drumgor Lurgan 1886.

"SDGW show him born & resided Belfast, Enlisted Lurgan Co Armagh"

Thanks

Douglas.

Hi Douglas

My reply was to Shancrom, re John Martin.

Soldiers Died Great War is a CD containing over some 700,000 names and their details as in Ryegates reply above,with more than a dozen different search fields.

(There is also a CD for WW11 available as well)

Wull

I'm researching 15th Batt RIR, any histories of that battalion??

I'm researching 15th Batt RIR, any histories of that battalion??

Archived