Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A History of 24 Squadron

AOK4

Hello,

Is there anyone on this forum who has or has easy access to the book by AE Illingworth "A History of 24 Squadron. Sometime of the Royal Flying Corps and later of the Royal Air Force"?

I'm desperately looking for high-quality scans or laser-copies of the three pictures in this book showing the pilots and groundcrew at Bisseghem airfield on 29 November 1918.

Regards,

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Jan,

This book on the history of No 24 Squadron, Royal Air Force is proving to be elusive.

However the squadron is still operational at RAF Lyneham,Wiltshire equipped with Hercules aircraft.

The squadron has an Squadron Association to be found at www.24sqnassociation.royalairforce.net .The association has some stock for sale but the book you mention is not recorded in their catalogue.I would imagine that the Squadron Association might be able to help you in your interest of their history.It does appear to be a healthly group.

Per Ardua ad Astra

Regards

Frank East

Thanks a lot Frank,

I'll try to contact them!

Regards,

Jan

My collection is indisarray, but I did find a copy of 24 Squadron on my shelf. That's the good news. The bad news is that I do not have the facilities to make the kind of copy that you need. I note that the photo of the entire squadron shows very little facial details. Let me know if I can be of any help. :unsure:

• 2 months later...
Guest james.t

Cameldriver, Can you help? Been looking for a copy of this book for a number of years now.

The information that I seek covers Jan 1918 - Nov 1918. In particular any references to SE5a No P5453, or P5354 or the pilots of these aircraft. I am also looking for any information concerning someone from No 24 making a trophy from a downed enemy aircraft propeller blade.

I would cover any copying or postage costs.

James.t