Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can someone do a NZ nominal roll look up please

KiwiHeather

I have just found out tonight that my mother had a great uncle who went to WW1. She didn't even know she had the relative until yesterday, but that is another long story !!

I looked up on Archway, Archives Nz and see that there are two John Hannan's, so I am not sure which one he will be. We believe that he was born in Limerick, Ireland in 1865 so that would have made him age 49 in 1914 ( if he gave his correct age) We also now know that he was married in Ashburton in 1921, so maybe he was in the Canterbury area.

I would be very grateful for any information.

Regards

KiwiHeather

Hi KiwiHeather

There are five John Hannan's listed in the NZSG CD Rom Nominal Roll but if your man came from Christchurch he may be the following:

Surname HANNAN

Given Name John William

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 2

Regimental Number 26/178

Rank Rifleman

Next of Kin Title John

Next of Kin Surname HANNAN

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address Marshlands Christchurch

Roll Roll 24

Page Page 26

Occupation Farmer

The others came from Wyndham, Marton, Greymouth and Wellington. Only way to know for certain is to examine his file held at Archives. Which one is it?

Zack

Thanks Zack

I will have to do a bit more research on this one. My John William Hannan was born in Limerick, in 1865, eldest son of William and Johanna. I did not think his parents came to New Zealand, so was surprised to see next of kin being Father, at Marshlands, Christchurch.

KiwiHeather

KiwiHeather

The only other man with that name on the Nominal Roll is:

Surname HANNAN

Given Name John William

Category Second Reserves

Last NZ Address Winnie St Greymouth

Occupation Solicitor

Classification C

Checking the Archive file will be the only way to know for sure but your research may narrow the search more.

Zack

• 2 months later...
KiwiHeather

The only other man with that name on the Nominal Roll is:

Surname HANNAN

Given Name John William

Category Second Reserves

Last NZ Address Winnie St Greymouth

Occupation Solicitor

Classification C

Checking the Archive file will be the only way to know for sure but your research may narrow the search more.

Zack

Hi Zack

Two months later and I can narrow this search down. The John William Hannan 26/178 is indeed my relative, although a younger generation than I originally thought. This is why his father, also John, is listed as NOK. I now also think that William Patrick Hannan 13193 is his brother. Is there any chance that you could take a look at these records for me at National Archives to verify this? There is no hurry as I will be away from July 19 to Aug 3.

When I looked on Archway, I noted that another John Hannan 83918 - says restrictions may apply to this record. That makes one a bit curious !! I wondered if this is the father as he would have only been 45 at the start of the war.

Thanks for all the great research you do for others who cannot access these records.

Heather

Hi, Heather

William Patrick Hannan has the following details on the nominal roll:

Surname HANNAN

Given Name William Patrick

Category First Reserves

Last NZ Address 36 Barnard st Timaru

Occupation Fireman

Recruiting District Christchurch

Do families really give one son the same middle name as the first name of another son? i.e. in this instance reusing William?

I'm obviously doing something wrong, or my copy of the nominal roll CD is screwy, but I'm not getting any listings when I put in either 13193 or 83918 as service numbers.

I know sometimes you have to check the printed version of the roll and not rely on the CD rom, though. I think Zack has access to that?

Allie

Other Christchurch/Canterbury Hannans

Surname HANNAN

Given Name Denis Owen

Category Second Reserves

Last NZ Address 342 Tuam St Christchurch

Occupation Clerk

Classification B

Surname HANNAN

Given Name Michael

Category Second Reserves

Last NZ Address Springburn Canterbury

Occupation Ganger NZR

Classification D

Surname HANNAN

Given Name Thomas Michael

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 3

Regimental Number 36037

Rank Trooper

Next of Kin Title William

Next of Kin Surname HANNAN

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address 143 Waltham Road Christchurch

Roll 58

Page 3

Occupation Fitter

Thanks Zack - will look forward to your findings.

Thanks also Allie. The William Patrick that you found at Timaru is I think, my grandfather. It has first reserves and as he didn't get away and lived in Timaru about that time, I am almost sure that is him. I guess he won't have a record that I can follow up on.He is a different man to the William Patrick Hannan 13193, who I think is his uncle.

The Michael Hannan is my great grandfather, who also did not go to war, probably because he was needed on the railways and the others may be connected but can't tell as I am still trying to piece this family history together.

I am doing family genealogy and often remark that they seemed to be very short of names in those days. Quite often they had one child die and they named the next one the same, or had one with the first name and several others with that name for their second name. Certainly seems a bit strange to us.

Regards

Heather

Hi Heather,

The Military Call up for William Patrick Hannan - Fireman of Timaru is in the NZ Gazette 1917 on page 2252.

There are 2 marriages for a William Patrick Hannan on the 1856 - 1956 CD.

1924 to Winifred Bessie Green and 1927 to Elizabeth Annie Bishop.

Cheers, Diane

Hi Heather,

The Military Call up for William Patrick Hannan - Fireman of Timaru is in the NZ Gazette 1917 on page 2252.

There are 2 marriages for a William Patrick Hannan on the 1856 - 1956 CD.

1924 to Winifred Bessie Green and 1927 to Elizabeth Annie Bishop.

Cheers, Diane

Hi Diane

The one married in 1924 to Winifred Bessie Green is definitely my Grandad - as he was born in 1901, that is probably why he didn't serve overseas. The other William Patrick Hannan is his uncle, born in 1895 who I think served in the army and is the same man 13193. It will be interesting in Zack can verify this from the records.

Thanks for the info - do the marriages give locations and where can I gain access to the NZ Gazette, is it online.

Regards

Heather

*waves to fellow Franklin District person*

Heather, the Auckland Central Library (just off Queen Street) have the NZ Gazette books, but if you don't have an Auckland Library card it costs you $10 to go into the research area. They're massive things those books. I think they may have them in Papakura as well, although I've not been into that library to do this type of research. I don't think Bookinopolis have them.

I'd love to know if they're available on CD rom, but I'm guessing they just give the reference of where to find the actual information, such as the page number Diane listed.

Allie

Hi Allie

I wondered if you were a "fellow Franklin person" - we actually live towards Patumahoe, among the cabbages!!

I shall have to round Bookinoplolis up to get them, although the genealogy section have "lots of goodies" that I need to find out more about.

I have found the people on this site so helpful and friendly and I am learning so much about relatives that I didn't know I had.

Regards

Heather

Hi, Heather. It could be worse - you could be amongst the onions! I go near Patumahoe most days, travelling between Pukekohe and Waiuku.

There are shelves upon shelves of volumes of the NZ Gazette. They cover such things as those who passed Civil Service examinations etc, and each year requires quite a number of volumes. I'd hate to think how much they cost - if they are even available anywhere.

Edit I phoned the Sir Edmund Hillary Library in Papakura, and they have the electronic form of the NZ Gazette loaded onto a couple of computers in the genealogy section, free to use although you have to pay for what you print out. It goes from 1841 onwards. I also phoned Bookinopolis and they don't have it and suggested trying Manukau as 'the closest other library'. Erm, yeah, let's just ignore the fact Papakura exists, shall we? ;)

Allie

:lol: Having been away from New Zealand for 15 years, it is good to know that some things haven't changed. Mind you, when I grew up Papatoetoe, it was still fields all the way to Onehunga, but we won't go into how long ago that was :blush:

Robert

Hi Allie and Robert

Thanks for the info re NZ Gazettes. I am away real early ( like 4 a.m) to Aussie for a couple of weeks, so will follow up on this when I return.

Robert, welcome back to NZ, I don't think we are any better off for all the growth in the area but I guess we can't do much to stop it.

Regards

Heather

Heather

John William Hannan 26/178

There are 26 pages on file. Brief details from the file are:

Born: Marshlands

Date of Birth: 18 July 1895

Next of kin: John Hannan (Farmer) Marshland (Father)

Marital status: Single

Last New Zealand address: Preston’s Rd Marshland

Prior enlistment military experience: One year in J Company Coast Defence Christchurch

Enlisted in C Coy 4th Battalion New Zealand Rifle Brigade

On 26 October 1916 he transferred to Machine Gun Company

Medical examination held at place not given: 14 Sept 1915 – all ‘normal’/’good’ except teeth which were described as “fair” and it is noted that he had a “scar left elbow.”

Service reckons from enlistment date: 11 October 1915

Attested at Trentham: 12 Oct 1915

Description on enlistment

Height: 5 feet 6½ inches

Complexion: Fresh

Eyes: Brown

Hair: Black

Teeth: Fair

Religion: Roman Catholic

He left New Zealand on the ‘Navua’ (HMNZT N0 44) on 5 February 1916 and disembarked Suez on 15 March 1916. (This transport was one of three carrying the NZRB and the 3rd Maori Contingent.)

He embarked for France from Alexandria on the transport ‘Alaunia’ on 7 April 1916. (This ship was built in 1913 and was on her way from New York to London in October 1916 when she hit a mine. The explosion killed almost 200 passengers. I think she is now a dive site.)

While on active duty his file records he suffered from influenza (8/1/17) and was wounded in action (lacerations to face) 7 – 8 June 1917. He was transported by the hospital ship ‘Jan Breydel’ to the UK where he was admitted to the City of London Military Hospital. There is a lot of detail on the file re his military movements.

Unfit for service he returned to New Zealand on the transport ‘Tahiti’ (HMNZT No 204) leaving Liverpool on 3 December 1918. His final discharge is dated 27 February 1919.

On discharge his New Zealand address is recorded as 247 Kilmore Street Christchurch New Zealand

He died at Sumner Christchurch New Zealand on 22 November 1945.

Hope this helps.

Zack

Hi kiwi heather,

You may be interested to know that the 4th Battalion NZRB was engaged in the Battle of Messines on the 7th/8th June 1917. The task of the 4th battalion was in the second wave of the attack, following the initial attack by the 1st and 3rd Battalions on the viallge of Messines. Thier task was to "mop up"the viallge and clear it of any germans remaining in the area. They were then to move on past the vialge and establish a new line beyond the village outskirts. There was some stiff opposition as some Germans hid in the ruins of the village and sniped at New Zealanders, grenades and such were used to flush the Germans out of the ruined buildings in the village. It was also the scene of some hard hand to hand fighting. For the next 3 days after the attack on the 7th of June the Germans laid down a very impressive and heavy artillery barrage on the village of Messines and the area that the NZRB had taken. A lot of casualties occured this time, many decorations were given to strechter bearers over these three days as they went out again and again under very heavy shell fire to retrieve wounded. For a full description of this action when your relative was wounded I refer you to pages 198 - 209 of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade official history avaliable in most libraries in New Zealand.

cheers Aaron.

Heather

Also for your information the OFFICIAL HISTORY OF THE NEW ZEALAND RIFLE BRIGADE is currently on sale as a reprint through the Naval Military Press - Price £ 38.00 plus postage & packaging. See details on the site: www.naval-military-press.com

Zack

Hi Zack

Back from the big land of Australia. Thanks for all your help with my enquiries. At least this is my relative and I will follow up on the books you mention. I didn't manage to get more info on the Sidney Herbert relative while i was over there, but have some good leads to pursue.

Thanks again

Heather

• 6 years later...

Hello Heather

I note that neither of the Jhn Hannan files have been digitized, I can arrange that for you when I make my next visit to the National rchives this week.

Cheers Kiwi Bob

Hello again Heather

I was at our National Archives on Tuesday and ordered the files of the two John Hannan's that they hold for digitization which should come on line in a day or so.

They are :

HANNAN, John 83918 and

HANNAN, John William 26/178

Cheers Kiwi Bob

Hello Heather. You can now see thise two files as they have been digitized at

http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/SimpleSearchResults.do

If you have not used rge system click on the orange print eac h man one at a time and the files will be revedaled.

Good lck Kiwi Bob