Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Richard Lancaster

CROONAERT

Just forwarding on a query from the above soldier's Grandson.

As you all know, this soldier was one of those unearthed near St.Yves last April and was identified due to his ID disc, cap-badge, etc being found with him. I've got several images of these items which I've shown his grandson, but he was wondering what will happen to the actual items. Will they be buried with his grandad's remains on July 4th, or will they be handed over to relatives (and, if so, which ones) or will they be retained elsewhere?

Thanks,

dave

No idea Dave, but for what its worth, my opinion is that they should be offered to the NOK first.

No idea Dave, but for what its worth, my opinion is that they should be offered to the NOK first.

That's his (his grandson's) opinion also. Problem is - which one's classified as the next of kin? The medals, etc seem to have been split up amongst the family with the particular branch of the family known personally to me owning his Victory Medal (another branch whom I know one member of owns nothing and the lad I know from this lot is an absolute dead ringer for Richard!).

dave

Dave

I've dropped an email to someone I'm in touch with in Belgium and who is almost sure to know what's what, and asked that they let you know (if they know). They may post here or send you an email.

Hope that's OK.

John

Thanks John.

Dave

Conducted further enquiries as advised. Got my answers now.

Thanks all.

dave

• 1 month later...

This is probably telling most of you, especially those from the north west of England, what you already know. The BBC and Granada TV have had one or two news items on it during the past day or so but just in case you missed it, the funeral of Richard Lancaster (and three other unknown comrades) will take place 0n Wednesday 4th July. According to a BBC News item, The Honour Guard and and Buglers will be from 1st Bn The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers who will accord Pte Lancaster and his comrades full military honours.

Harry

I have already included this on a Forum Calendar item. Please note that there will be two lots of burials on the same day- an unknown LF from 66 DIV's 9th October 1917 attack is being buried at Tyne Cot, using the same Honour Guard etc.