Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boer War casualty? Anyone have the roll?

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

I'm trying to untangle a bit of family history and I was hoping someone may be able to help. I am trying to find out what happened to a Private A. Ross, Number 1682, of the 2nd Seaforth Highlanders. It is thought he may have been wounded {or killed} in the Boer War at Paardeberg. However, there is a possibility he, or his son served in WW1. Basically, I need to know if he appears on the Casualty list for the Boer War, before I can start trying to track his later moves down.

If you have the book or know of any websites that can help, please

let me know, as i have turned up nothing so far.

Thanks

Stewart

Stewart

I have the Roll at home and can look tonight unless you have the offer from somebody who is able to do it before then.

Regards

Steve

Hi Stewart

1682 Private A Ross was killed at Paardeberg on 18th February 1900 – from “South Africa Field Force Casualty List, 1899 – 1902”

The strange thing is, I was going to direct you to a site of casualties of the Boer War - http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Databases/Bo...iled/index.html - however if you enter “Ross A” it gives you some medal information about another Private (with number 2391) who received the Kings medal with two clasps, but nothing about 1682.

So there were at least two A Ross’s in the regiment,

Where did you get the information from? His service papers may be in WO97 at Kew. If from a medal can you tell me the clasp(s) on it.

Thanks

Pete

Hello,

Thank you very much for the quick responce. It has answered a number of questions, and now I can take my research forward a bit.

I don't have a lot of infromation at present, as this person is not a close relative. However, He was from Forfar and enlisted in 1885. He has a short entry in the 1900 edition of the Muster Roll of Angus. Which states he was killed in 1900 at Paardeberg. It also states he was awarded the South African medal with two clasps, there are no other medals listed, there is, however a small photo of him in the book. The info in the book did not list his number, I had found two A . Ross's listed with the Seaforths {I think I got this info from someone who had looked up the medal roll, this was sometime ago and I have only just began to look into it.} I had found the website you listed, I had tried both numbers in there but found only one listed and he had been awarded the KSA, so knew it was not the one I was after.

I suppose the medal would have one clasp being Paardeberg, the other would probably be Cape Colony. I have seen a couple of QSA's in the Black Watch Museum to soldiers who fell at Magerfontien 11 Dec. 1899 and they have the single clasp Cape Colony. I wonder if he fought at Magerfontien? The 2nd Seaforths were part of the Highland Brigade.

Regards,

Stewart

I see you've got the details from the roll so I can do something else tonight ;)

I suppose the medal would have one clasp being Paardeberg, the other would probably be Cape Colony. I have seen a couple of QSA's in the Black Watch Museum to soldiers who fell at Magerfontien 11 Dec. 1899 and they have the single clasp Cape Colony. I wonder if he fought at Magerfontien? The 2nd Seaforths were part of the Highland Brigade.

I suspect that you are correct in both instances.

As a soldier with the 2nd Seaforths the two clasps he would have qualified for are the two clasps you state, and the 2nd Seaforths were involved in the action at Magersfontein (that doesn't mean that A. Ross was although it's highly likely).

Regards

Steve