Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ex royal yacht sunk in great war

tom compton

dear pals i am looking for photos of ex royal yacht medina sunk in 1917 .i woud like a photo in full royal regalia from 1911 and one from the great war if possible thanks .tom

On 28th April 1917 the SS Medina, Liner, defensively armed, built 1911, 12,350 grt, in 50.15N, 03.30W, was torpedoed and sunk by UB 31, 3 miles ENE from Start Point, English Channel. She was carrying a general cargo from Sydney, NSW & Indian ports to London via Plymouth, and was owned by the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Co Ltd - London. 6 members of the crew were lost.

Best wishes

David

thanks anth.john.and david is that right that she was sunk by ub31 ? and is there a better picture of her as a royal yacht .tom

sorry pals i forgot to tell you my interest in the medina my great uncle sailed on her in 1911 to india with george the 5th .he was royal marine bandsman george tristram .tom

John,

Am I reading that page correctly? Was Medina only a Royal Yacht for 3 months 11/11 to 2/12?

Or am I getting hold of the wrong end of the stick? (nothing new there! :rolleyes: )

Thanks

Anth

Anth

The information I have is that MEDINA'S date of completion was 3.9.11, and after service as the Royal Yacht was returned to P & O service on 9.2.12. She was torpedoed shortly after leaving Plymouth for Tilbury on 28.4.1917.

Regards John

Hello John, interesting difference of voyage direction.

What is the basis of your info re leaving Plymouth for Tilbury?

My voyage details came from A. J. Tennent.

The sinking location would fit either.

Best wishes

David

Hello John, interesting difference of voyage direction.

What is the basis of your info re leaving Plymouth for Tilbury?

My voyage details came from A. J. Tennent.

The sinking location would fit either.

Best wishes

David

Hello david

Information from Duncan Haws 'Merchant Fleets in profile', Sotheby's catalogue 26th May 1988 'Artifacts recovered from the Wreck of the S.S. MEDINA', and 'Dictionary of Disasters at Sea'.

Sunk the same day after leaving Plymouth for London on the last lap of her journey from India.

Regards John

John,

Am I reading that page correctly? Was Medina only a Royal Yacht for 3 months 11/11 to 2/12?

Or am I getting hold of the wrong end of the stick? (nothing new there! :rolleyes: )

Thanks

Anth

I would think that she was chartered temporarily from P and O purely for the visit to India as the official yacht, the Victoria and Albert, was too small to make the voyage.

cheers Martin B

i think martin is right how much bigger was medina than the victoria and albert ? dont forget they were going to the derbar in delhi with a fall royal marine band onboard plus all the big wigs the king and other royals and loads of staff .so the victoria and albert may have been to small .what do you think ?tom

i think martin is right how much bigger was medina than the victoria and albert ? dont forget they were going to the derbar in delhi with a fall royal marine band onboard plus all the big wigs the king and other royals and loads of staff .so the victoria and albert may have been to small .what do you think ?tom

No comparison really, Medina was twice as big at 12,358 tons compared to Victoria & Abert's 5,500 tons. She possibly could have made the trip, but would not have been able to carry anything like the amount of equipment and trimmings needed for a state visit on this scale.

Regards John

yes thanks all .can you tell me when the victoria and albert was broken up and what replaced her .tom