Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Scottish Rifles

IanA

2 hours ago, barrieduncan said:

Hi Ron

I don't have much more on Gibson readily to hand. I'm not sure when he became PM of the Depot but I imagine late 20s would be about right. He was promoted to C/Sjt and appointed CQMS of 2nd Bn in October 1932. Sometime in the mid-late 30s he moves to 1st Bn, and it's from there that he sort of disappears by the late 1930s. What makes it confusing is that there is another Gibson, who seems to start as a Piper in the early 1930s, who I believe eventually becomes CSM of 2nd Bn during the War.

If William Gibson did get a commission in June 1943, I'm struggling to find him. I've found two Cameronian officers, but neither fit - William John Knight Gibson, commissioned 17/11/1945 (surely too late for 'our' Gibson and the name is quite specific) and William Henry Gibson, who went missing presumed killed with 2nd Bn in France, June 1940. This is definitely not our Gibson as their service in the mid 1930s overlapped. 

Strange that such a prominent figure can just drop off the Regiment's radar like that...

Thanks anyway!  

From the Regimental Magazine (The Covenanter) December 1968 issue.

Gibson.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 29/04/2007 at 14:34, IanA said:

I have recently been given a group of photographs which originally belonged to my wife's grandfather who served in the Cameronians, 9th Sco Rifles and, later, in an officers cadet battalion. C.S.M. Herbert Webster is seated behind the drum on the right. I thought this might be of general interest because of the piper on the right - he doesn't look much over ten years of age!

Any comments on this photo would be welcome.

post-12111-1177853600.jpg

Just looked through some photos and discovered that my grandfather was in the officers photo taken at the exact same spot. I believe the date is 1915.

19150000 photo 9th Scottish Rifles Officers-1800.jpg

51 minutes ago, Reggie98 said:

Just looked through some photos and discovered that my grandfather was in the officers photo taken at the exact same spot. I believe the date is 1915.

19150000 photo 9th Scottish Rifles Officers-1800.jpg

Great to see that and interesting to see Captain Sir Rory Baynes. I had a brief correspondence with his son, Lt. Col. Sir John Baynes, Rory was Herbert's company commander in France and contributed to the book 'A Tale of Two Captains'. Unfortunately, Baynes was badly injured early on and there is not a great deal of detail about the battalion. 

Ian

3 hours ago, IanA said:

Great to see that and interesting to see Captain Sir Rory Baynes. I had a brief correspondence with his son, Lt. Col. Sir John Baynes, Rory was Herbert's company commander in France and contributed to the book 'A Tale of Two Captains'. Unfortunately, Baynes was badly injured early on and there is not a great deal of detail about the battalion. 

Ian

Hi Ian, many thanks for this. Baynes is mentioned in Dr. Macleod's diaries on 16th July 1915

02:00 Festubert: Adjutant (Captain Baynes) wounded - slightly - marvellous escape. shell through lower end of dugout - partially burying his feet and legs - no serious damage done - sent F.A. [Field Ambulance?]

19150716.jpg

11 hours ago, Reggie98 said:

Hi Ian, many thanks for this. Baynes is mentioned in Dr. Macleod's diaries on 16th July 1915

02:00 Festubert: Adjutant (Captain Baynes) wounded - slightly - marvellous escape. shell through lower end of dugout - partially burying his feet and legs - no serious damage done - sent F.A. [Field Ambulance?]

19150716.jpg

Interesting. I suspect Baynes might have quibbled with the word 'slightly'! But at least he survived and saw further active service. Of course, what I really want to see is a mention of C.S.M. Webster... :D 

Webster was a regular soldier who had served with the Cameronians in South Africa and India. He was recalled in 1914 and was most uncomplimentary about the quality of men turning up to volunteer.

• 1 year later...

Hi All, 

New to the site and looking for some help if possible. I noticed the picture posted of the 9th Battalion Scottish Rifles around 1915.

My Uncle maybe in the picture posted by Ian A . Pvt Duncan McLatchie, service no 17215 who served in the 9th but fell on the first day of Loos. My family donated his personal effects of his to the Hamilton Museum however been searching for any possible picture of him - the only one we had was from a very grainy picture in a news paper we still had from around the time.

Is there a list of soldiers names at all ? 

Many thanks in advance 

Steven 

Edited by SteveS