Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Scottish Rifles

IanA

Guest johnpmallpm

Hi,

My Great Great Grandfather Thomas Brown served for 36 days in the month of November 1914 in Bordon for the 9th Scottish Rifles before being sent home because of flat feet. Do you think he may appear in the photos mention above? I would be able to recognise him if the photo was much larger,thanks

I'm guessing that photographs of companies being trained at Bordon would be taken towards the end of their training period - when they had 'smartened up' - so, with Thomas Brown serving for just one month, I would doubt it.

Guest johnpmallpm

I see, Thank you for responding. The sparked my interest because i seen the photographs of Bordon camp in this thread. It may be unlikly but you would think some form of photo identification was taken? If photos were taken during November 1914, I think it is quite possible.

John

You would think so, wouldn't you, but I have never seen any individual 'photo identification' such as you mention.

• 9 months later...

Hiya.

First post. Total novice at this.

I believe my grandfather was in the 9th Scottish Rifles during WW1. Is that the Cameronians? He died before I was born so I never met him. I think we'd have got on ^_^ . Anyway, my mum is still alive and has 4 of his medals in a box. I've had a quick look at them tonight and one says 'For Bravery in the Field' on it. From Googling, I think it is a Military Medal? I'm going to have a better look at them over the weekend. He seems to have been a Sergeant by the end of the war.

After the war he wrote articles recounting the battles he fought in for the local paper. He seems to have fought quite a few, including at the Somme. I've got the paper clippings of his stories. They are quite difficult to read (emotionally difficult I mean, not because the ink is faded or anything!).

He was a miner before and again after the war and was born in Larkhall.

I'd like to know more about him but don't really know where to start. So hopefully someone will read this post and point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Mary

PS- I bought a book on the Cameronians the other day but haven't started it yet! Hope I've got the right regiment!!!! :ph34r:

Mary welcome to the forum. If you could post Grandfathers name and regimental number, that would be a great help pinpointing your relative.

Aye Rob.

Hi Mary. Strictly speaking, only the 1st battalion of the Scottish Rifles were entitled to call themselves 'Cameronians' but if you get in touch with the regimental museum - http://www.cameronians.org/museum/ I'm sure they would be only too happy to help if they can. Also, Barry Duncan (a member of this forum) works there so he may pop up if he sees this thread.

Good luck.

Ian

Awwww, thanks guys! Right, here goes. His name was John Williamson. All his medals have the number 16298 on them. One says Pte, the rest say Sjt. 3 just have Sco:Rif. One has 9/Sco:Rif:-)

His Medal index card has:

John Williamson 9th Scottish Rifles firstly as a private then Sjt. British,Victory and 15 Star medals.

Entered France on the 12th May 1915.

From LLT above LINK: http://www.1914-1918.net/scotrif.htm

The 9th was a service Bn formed in Hamilton in August 14, and after training moved to France on the 12th May 15 as a part of 9Division.

Go to that link and you will be able to follow links to the 9th Div and the battles they were in.

James

Further to above his number makes it probable that he joined mid to late october 14.

Don't see a trace for a 4th medal but ancestry being ancestry.........

Wow! He was one of the first to join up then? Me and my cousin are going to visit the museum in Hamilton sometime in the next few weeks. See what we can find there.Thanks everyone for your help! Here is a photo of the 4 medals by the way. Hope it opens ok. :thumbsup:

2z8rwxs.jpg[/img]

Jupiter. A Very nice medal group. The ribbon on the BWM (Silver British War Medal) should be on the star medal with the red edge to the left red, white, blue. I have also looked for Williamson being mentioned in the diary as a MM recipiant with no luck.

PM on its way. Aye Rob.

Ha Ha! The medals and ribbons were all separate and stored in an old tobacco tin. I just took a random guess as to what ribbon went with what. :whistle:

Hiya.

First post. Total novice at this.

I believe my grandfather was in the 9th Scottish Rifles during WW1. Is that the Cameronians? He died before I was born so I never met him. I think we'd have got on ^_^ . Anyway, my mum is still alive and has 4 of his medals in a box. I've had a quick look at them tonight and one says 'For Bravery in the Field' on it. From Googling, I think it is a Military Medal? I'm going to have a better look at them over the weekend. He seems to have been a Sergeant by the end of the war.

After the war he wrote articles recounting the battles he fought in for the local paper. He seems to have fought quite a few, including at the Somme. I've got the paper clippings of his stories. They are quite difficult to read (emotionally difficult I mean, not because the ink is faded or anything!).

He was a miner before and again after the war and was born in Larkhall.

I'd like to know more about him but don't really know where to start. So hopefully someone will read this post and point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Mary

PS- I bought a book on the Cameronians the other day but haven't started it yet! Hope I've got the right regiment!!!! :ph34r:

Hello Mary,

I too was born in Larkie.

Barry Duncan (on this thread) works at the Cameronians' Museum in Hamilton.

That's not too far for you to go, so why not take a trip to visit Barry, and take the medals for him to see.

I'll bet you'll get tons of more information in person (and don't forget to post it here).

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Hi all.

Very intersesting thread and great photos. I am also interested in the 1st Battalion Cameronians and hoping

To visit the museum next week.

Jane

His being awarded the Military Medal was announced in the London Gazette of 26th of May 1917.

London Gazette

Derek.

Awww that is just fantastic! Thanks so much for that! When nobody could find any trace of him winning it I was beginning to think he'd made it himself! ^_^

I need to send that link to my cousin (and indeed show my mum!).

:poppy:

Hello Mary,

I too was born in Larkie.

Barry Duncan (on this thread) works at the Cameronians' Museum in Hamilton.

That's not too far for you to go, so why not take a trip to visit Barry, and take the medals for him to see.

I'll bet you'll get tons of more information in person (and don't forget to post it here).

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Yes, I'm intending to visit quite soon. I just found out my grandad was injured and hospitalised and his 'war' ended at that point. But I've no idea when, where or how that happened. He fought at the Somme so it must have been after 1916...

Tom, you may even know some of my family then. We are all Larkie or thereabouts!

Yes, I'm intending to visit quite soon. I just found out my grandad was injured and hospitalised and his 'war' ended at that point. But I've no idea when, where or how that happened. He fought at the Somme so it must have been after 1916...

Tom, you may even know some of my family then. We are all Larkie or thereabouts!

Yes Mary, we're a' Jock Thamson's weans.

Good Luck in Hamilton.

• 4 years later...

I'm sure my great grandfather must be in this pic.  He joined the 9th in January 1915.  Its a shame there are no names and its hard to see closely for any family resemblance so i have no idea which one he his.  His name was James Clark  and he won the DCM at Canal du Nord on 27th September 1918.  According to the citation he won this with the 7th battalion.  Any reason why he would switch battalions? 

3 hours ago, Jan6789 said:

Any reason why he would switch battalions? 

It was common for men returning to the front after, say, receiving treatment for wounds back in Britain to be sent to whichever battalion had most need of them. They often ended up in quite different regiments. My own grandfather did all his training with the Border Regiment, went out to Belgium in 1917 and was immediately sent to the King's (Liverpool) Regiment.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 03/05/2007 at 00:38, barrieduncan said:

Hang on to your hat Ian.

3233625 (formerly 12912) Gibson, William.

Enlisted 10/09/14 - Aged 14 years Old

Place of Enlistment - Stirling

Trade on Enlistment - Piper

Place of Birth - Hamilton

Name of woman married - Edith Gladys Grant

Place and date of Marriage - Lewisham, 11/02/28

Service

Home 10/9/14 to 8/10/19

en route 9/10/19 to 31/10/19

India 1/11/19 to -

Medals awarded

General Service Medal - Clasp Kurdistan

Discharged to Commission 20/6/43

Other notes

Posted to 169 O.C.T.U. 31/10/39

Reposted Cameronians 8/12/41

:D

So, according to his entry in the enlistment books (postwar before anyone asks - made for the introduction of the new Army Number) William Gibson did not serve overseas in the Great War. But, according to the NA medal index card database, he has a mic!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Interesting to learn that he was commissioned, i'll now be trawling the Regimental Journal for the 40s to see if there is any mention of him. I checked CWGC and there was a 2nd Lt Gibson killed during WW2, but in 1940, so too early to be our young piper here.

Cool stuff Ian - keep it coming, lets see what else we can unearth :D

Barrie

Hi Barrie.....I know that was a fair while ago, but I was wondering whether you found anything else out about William Gibson?

There are some English newspaper articles which mention a Pipe-Major Gibson of the Depot, Scottish Rifles being on military manoeuvres in 1928.

Aad Boode also has a William Gibson recorded as Pipe-Major of the 2nd Scottish Rifles circa 1931 and indeed; the 11th and 13th June 1931 editions of The Scotsman make mention that the 'pipe band' of the 2nd Scottish Rifles will be playing in Princes Gardens under Pipe-Major William Gibson

On the Forces War Records website, I note that 3233625 W Gibson is listed as Colour-Sergeant as of 1933.

Do you know when he passed away and also the years (to/from) in which he was Pipe-major of the Depot and the 2nd Battalion?

I know that there are family trees/records of a William Harvey Gibson (born 1900 at the Depot/Hamilton), whose father had served in the Cameronians uploaded on Ancestry......but that appears to be a different man. 

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers/Ron

Edited by Ron Abbott

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ron

I don't have much more on Gibson readily to hand. I'm not sure when he became PM of the Depot but I imagine late 20s would be about right. He was promoted to C/Sjt and appointed CQMS of 2nd Bn in October 1932. Sometime in the mid-late 30s he moves to 1st Bn, and it's from there that he sort of disappears by the late 1930s. What makes it confusing is that there is another Gibson, who seems to start as a Piper in the early 1930s, who I believe eventually becomes CSM of 2nd Bn during the War.

If William Gibson did get a commission in June 1943, I'm struggling to find him. I've found two Cameronian officers, but neither fit - William John Knight Gibson, commissioned 17/11/1945 (surely too late for 'our' Gibson and the name is quite specific) and William Henry Gibson, who went missing presumed killed with 2nd Bn in France, June 1940. This is definitely not our Gibson as their service in the mid 1930s overlapped. 

Strange that such a prominent figure can just drop off the Regiment's radar like that...