Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfather's MIC

ejcmartin

My Grandfather's MIC shows that he was eligible for the 1915 Star, but there is no listing for the Victory or British War Medal. Is this normal?

Hi there,

If he was eligible for the star then he surely should have been eligible for the BWM and VIC.

On the medal card where the date is shown for the star, is there just two small straight lines in each of the boxes for the other two medals as this means 'ditto' to show the award. It was rarely dated like the star box.(if ever?)

If this dosent help, see if you can post a copy of it for us and im sure someone here could help.

Regards, Womo

usually happens with slight spelling or number differance

Thank you for your replies. Checking the MIC I have the BWM anc VIC boxes are completely blank. The MIC I have is for the the 19th Bn Royal Fusiliers enlisted as a Private. He was however commissioned as a 2nd Lt. with the Somerset Light Infantry. My Great Uncle did almost the exact same thing (the exception he was enlisted as L/Cpl) but his medals are all on one card.

Further searches for another MIC show up nothing. He was Noel Christopher Parsons. The MIC I have is under N. C. Parsons. I tried N. Parsons, Noel Parsons etc and do not seem to get anything further.

Any idea how I can post a copy as it is PDF file?

In the Army List 1918

LT NC Parsons 3rd Reserve Bn somersets gazette 5/2/18

Mick

Officers who survived the war had to claim their medals. He may not have done this.

The 1915 Star card records him as Pte, then 2Lt. He would be on the 1914-1915 Star roll as a Private with a remark noting his commission.

Perhaps this is why no other card can be found.

Thank you AF.

IF my Grandfather had to claim the medals and did not the question begs, can they still be claimed? My Mother is his only surviving child could she claim them? A long shot but you never know?

I have no idea. I know that replacements are not being issued for pre 1920. Perhaps someone else can answer this for you.

Regards

Hugh

IF my Grandfather had to claim the medals and did not the question begs, can they still be claimed? My Mother is his only surviving child could she claim them? A long shot but you never know?

I think that the army stopped issuing WW1 medals in the early 1990s

Andy

Does anyone know where one would start to find out if one can get non-issued medals? Living across the pond will make it difficult, but I am only 43 and have, hopefully, plenty of time still left to harass somebody. ;)

Young or not (and I am only a year younger!) I'm afraid your time ran out some years ago. The issue of WW1 medals was stopped for all and any reason some years ago now. If you are looking to display your Grandfather's medal, the favoured option is to suspend it from a ribbon bar with the ribbon for the British War and Victory medals present to show entitlement.

Regards

Steve

Does anyone know where one would start to find out if one can get non-issued medals?

I must be getting Croonaert deasease :(

For those of you that had helped me out on this thank you. Turns out with a little help from my Forum friends and little research, my mother has found my Grandfather's ribbons for his Great War medals. As they were only the ribbon she had them tucked away in a drawer thinking that they were WWII medals, in which my Grandfather had also served although with the Canadian Army. Although only the ribbon I was gladdened to hear that at least a part of the connection remains, 90 years on.

The question still remains, his MIC make no mention of them but he had them. Any ideas out there as to why?

The short answer is that there is or was an MIC but it is lost somewhere either physically or in the filing system.

The MICs can be looked up at Kew on Microfilm which are in alphabetical order (though somewhat idiosyncratically, I am told - something to do with Initials and full names). It may well be findable by that method. Alternatively, he WILL be on the medal rolls, and probably findable with a bit of patience and or dedication. he should be on an Officers Roll for the VM & BWM, so a reasonably small search area compared to an OR.

Obviously this is something for a researcher to do if you want to take that route, bearing in mind your location.

Steve.