Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

souveniers

zippo

following on from some other threads,it seems that not all mementos from the battle fields are safe,even today.do other members know of incidents involving collectors or visitors .

there was a thread only the other day about the battlefields claiming another life

So not everything is safe

In fact I think 3 people have been killed in the past month or so 2 French Mine Disposal experts and a young man near Verdun who was trying to defuse a live bomb one of his " collection". All very sad incidents and there will I am afraid be more. Many battlefield items are very dangerous - and as you see from above even for experts. So do not take any risks.

Apart from the obvious dangers of unexploded ordnance, at least obvious to most people, there is a less obvious one. The battlefields pose a risk of tetanus infection of any open wound, particularly deep, puncture wounds. If you are going to walk them and you feel you may forage around looking for a small souvenir, make sure your tetanus jabs are up to date.

I would think the best rule to apply when field walking is if you find any grenades ,shells LEAVE THEM alone simple . If any one is stupid enough to tamper with them they get what they deserve if it blows. Use a wooden walking stick to probe metal bits in the ground saves you bending down and picking the bit up untill you can see what it is your about to pick up. I once meet this guy in France and he had half a hand he found a grenade picked it up and a very smal explosion and the end result half a hand . Simple caution at all times is what i say .

Dan

If you realy feel the need to start collecting Ordanance of any Type,its always best to buy from a reputable Dealer/Collector.For an Interesting read on unexploded Ammuntion from thr First World War check out Donovan Websters Book "Aftermath"..I know that it is still available on Amazon,and it contains an Excellent section on the work of the French De Mineurs,Bomb Disposal Teams.

I've got a visit lined up with the EOD in the near future, I'll see what they think about ordnance collectors and their souvenirs !

Mick D