Remembered Today:

"smashed"

Harkness

Part of an entry dated Dec 22 1914 in my ancestor's war diary says:

'Tots Mayes "smashed" today. His crime was disobeying an order'

What does "smashed" mean?

Harkness

a beasting ?

Harkness - was the relative in the navy ?

As a matter of interest chaps, the term 'Reduced in rank' when refered to in the 'RM's, even today, can be either: 'Busted' 'Smashed' 'Reverted' 'Dropped' 'Kicked Down' 'Stripped' or 'Reduced'.

To be given 'A beasting' was / still is, to be handed over to his section to be physically punished with closed fists, or handed over to the 'PTI' (Physical Training Instructor) to be sent through the mill with a very punishing PT excercise.

Seph :blink:

Did youn ever have the dreaded C.O.Bs...COmmmanding Officers Beasting,when ALL Ranks had to take part in the Evil Ritual of the 6 Mile Run ? in Full Kit,then a Nice Little NBC alert at the End of it ? :lol:

Did youn ever have the dreaded C.O.Bs...COmmmanding Officers Beasting,when ALL Ranks had to take part in the Evil Ritual of the 6 Mile Run ? in Full Kit,then a Nice Little NBC alert at the End of it ? :lol:

Yes, Turkey 1975. We were on field excercise with the USMC. My company at the end of the day built a huge bonfire, and then began a company get-to-gether. We were all rather drunk at the end of it = 0430hrs, bodies all over the place. Our CO made us all go on a company 6.miler at 0700hrs in full fighting order with weapons, then carry out an NBC excercise (fire and manouvre) at the end. Not one man dropped out! :rolleyes:

Seph

Aaaaaaaaah,such Memories,Did you ever Manage to Get Yer Noddy Suit all neatly folded up after End Ex,i could never Manage it !!!!.

Aaaaaaaaah,such Memories,Did you ever Manage to Get Yer Noddy Suit all neatly folded up after End Ex,i could never Manage it !!!!.

Once that thing was out of the double wrapping (easily unwrapped and put on the individual .. yeah.. really!!), you needed an extra Large-pack / Bergan to carry the B%#@^& thing!. I don't think even 'Arny Scwartnagger' could put that kit back to its original form with a box of Shreaded Wheat.. never mind just a dish of three peaces!!! :blink:

Seph

I just used to Roll Mine Up and Shove it in Me Bum Roll,and Hope for the Best,Gloves went in the Respirator Bag,and the Rubber OverBoots used to get Traded for the Tins of Processed Cheese or the Oat Meal Biccies. :lol: .....what the hell did any one want an extra pair of those Rubber Monstrosities for ? the mind certainly Boggles.

I just used to Roll Mine Up and Shove it in Me Bum Roll,and Hope for the Best,Gloves went in the Respirator Bag,and the Rubber OverBoots used to get Traded for the Tins of Processed Cheese or the Oat Meal Biccies. :lol: .....what the hell did any one want an extra pair of those Rubber Monstrosities for ? the mind certainly Boggles.

If you remember the tins of 'Pro-Cheese', you must remember the green tubes of that awful butter, the white tubes of Apple, Raspberry or Plum jam, the tins of Bacon Grill and that revolting soup in a white packet that everybody threw away = 'Mock Turtle'.

What about the 'Tiffin' or Cadbury's 'Fruit-n-Nut' Choc bars, or the tubes of 'Rollo' or 'Mars Bars'... the choc from all of them so old it was turning white!!!.

Seph ;)

Not Forgetting the Green Tubes of Condensed Milk,Rolos,Spangles,Life Boat Matches,Little Tin Opener,Fruit Cake in the Big Tube,and the Bog Paper that didnt wipe anything Off,it just moved it around a Little Ha,Ha,Ha.......I thought the Soup was Chicken ?.....Mind You,i tried a Yankee Rat Pack..Total S***E......Forgot to mention the F*****G awful Sausages from the Tin.I checked on some of the Rat Pack Dates...1951,1957,Before i was Born.

Not Forgetting the Green Tubes of Condensed Milk,Rolos,Spangles,Life Boat Matches,Little Tin Opener,Fruit Cake in the Big Tube,and the Bog Paper that didnt wipe anything Off,it just moved it around a Little Ha,Ha,Ha.......I thought the Soup was Chicken ?.....Mind You,i tried a Yankee Rat Pack..Total S***E......Forgot to mention the F*****G awful Sausages from the Tin.I checked on some of the Rat Pack Dates...1951,1957,Before i was Born.

Soups... yes, there was Chicken as well as Ox-Tail. The Sausage and Beans menu was one of my favourites. There was a small packet of chewing gum too, five lozenges I think per packet? Menu's = A, B, C, D, E, F... the latter two if you were really lucky! Oh.. those 'Boiled Sweets'. We got Artic Rations in the Gulf!!!! Sounds familiar doersn't it? :(

Seph

When My Dear Departed Dad,was sent from Sunny Humid Malaya dressed as He was in OGs Tropical,His Destination North Korea..Average Temp - 40..!!!,He always maintained that the U.S.Marine Corps saved His Life and that of His Mates by generously kitting them out for Winter Warfare.Different story from My Mums Dad..Arrived for the Gallipoli Fight,still dressed in Khaki Serge !!.Final Straw for Myself was being issued Hairy Mary Shirts in the Middle of the 1976 heatwave,and being refused by Our replacement OC to roll our Sleeves Up after being inoculated. :blink:

When My Dear Departed Dad,was sent from Sunny Humid Malaya dressed as He was in OGs Tropical,His Destination North Korea..Average Temp - 40..!!!,

Find the logic in this!... Shirts - 'OG' (olive green) tropical - Mans - Comfort for the use of..... We had to STARCH EM! Starch of all things.... blimey!, it totally defeats the object of having a loose weave shirt, as the starch fills the pores. Then, instead of issuing us a light weight Khaki shirt for the med.... we get those blasted heavy worsted 'Hairy' shirts, 2-for the use of! Mine were dated 1948 and 53 respectively .. :huh:

However, what is the first thing we seem to say when remembering those numerous cockups by the higher-ups.... "They were the days.. eh?" :blink:

Seph

We used to Shave Our Hairy Shirts on the Inside,to make them a bit easier to wear.

'PBI'... I think that we have digressed this thread sufficiently to make it indipendant from the original that was posted.. asking the interpretation of the term 'Smashed'.

Any other chums got any interpretation of the that term used?

Seph ;)

Off topic, but the term smashed now in the rhondda and south wales, means to get very drunk or beaten up,

example (excuse the rhondda slang if ya need a translation i will post one)

I was smashed on the weekend, drank a flagon of cider and a litre of vokda (standard chav/ned bragging)

or

I smashed this bloke all over the place, gave him a cracking right hook.

Though a beasting of some sort or demotion would make more sence than that.

Gaz