Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for Thomas James Bowyer

Guest barb

I am searching for my grandfather, Thomas James Bowyer, whom I have been told died in WW1. To have this confirmed would be of some significance. He was born in 1888, Married Mary Louisa Price in 1908 at the Parish of Tilston, Chester. Had a son Alfred 1908, then living in Handley, Cheshire. Is there any one that can help in this search or direct me in the right direction. Your help will be most appreciated, thanks.

Hello Barb

The parent site of this forum has a lot of information on how to look for a relative who served in WW1, so I would suggest you have a look there.

I have had a quick look on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site but found no Thomas James Bowyer. There are however a few Thomas's and some James as well. You may recognise your grandfather from the information on each entry.

Unfortunately I don't have the Soldiers Died in the Great War CD ROM. Some other kind member may be able to help you.

Regards

Rob

Thank you Rob. I have done a search of the War Grave Site with no success. My Gran told my mother that Thomas deserted her, but I have a letter from an adopted mother of my father, Alfred, that says he went away to the war and was not heard of again. So there we are, and I am hoping he went to war and survived.

Either way it would be a comfort to know what happened to him.

Cheers Barb

Hello Barb, welcome to the forum.

I've had a look at "Soldiers Died in the Great War". Three Thomas Bowyer's are listed but none have a Cheshire connection., I'm afraid.

Hi Barb,

There is a James Bowyer 10th Cheshires who died on 10.8.17 . He is on the Menin Gate. He was 38 so was born in 1879/80. He was son of George & Sarah and born in Northwich Cheshire.

Barb

I've had a look through the War Graves site and the Soldiers Died CD and they only J or T Bowyer with a Cheshire connection is the James mentioned by Ianw. However, the age doesnt tally with the info you have so I don't think it can be him (he is probably the J Bowyer commemorated on the Lostock Gralam Memorial - see Greenwoodman's link to Carlscam).

It is possible that as you suggest thet Thomas did a "runner" from the family that he joined up under an assumed name and was killed. In which case, finding him would be impossible.

However, your most likely bet is that he did actually survive. Sorry I havnt been able to help more - I hate to give up on a request for info on a north-westerner.

John

A huge thank you to you all for your help. If it is any help his father's name was also Thomas James Bowyer on his wedding cert. Sad though that nothing can be found of him. I am off now to have a look at the Carlscam site. Good wishes to you and yours for Christmas and the New Year. Barb.