Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA in Salonika

Nik7304

Looking through the lists of RGA battalions, I found that the 138th Siege Battery moved there in 1916. Was this the only Royal Garrison Artillery battery which served in Salonika? I ask because I have the medals and some effects of a Lieutenant who served there and I would like to find out in which battalion/battery, etc.

His name was John Dalziel, he's listed in the London Gazette for receiving the Chevalier of Order of the Redeemer as "Acting Lieutenant". Don't know his service number unfortunately as his pair (possibly trio) is missing.

Post his name and any other details you have, here. I am sure that somebody will be able to help. Welcome to the Forum.

Post his name and any other details you have, here. I am sure that somebody will be able to help. Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks Squirrel. I've put in what I know.

From "The Forgotten Fronts" etc. by General Farndale,

In 1916 for the beginning of the build up, there was: 20th HA Group, 37th HA Group and 75th HA Group listed as Army Troops (7 batteries of 60 pounders and 7 batteries of 6-inch howitzers) as well as 3rd Mountain Brigade and 4th Highland Mountain Brigade, which were also part of the RGA. Also listed later was the 61st HA Group.

By September 1918, for the final battles, there was a "HQ Heavy Artillery" under 12th Corps HQ which consisted of the Centre Counter Battery Group (16 x 60 pounders), the West Bombardment Group (20 x 4.5 How's and 20 x 6-in. How's), the East Bombardment Group (16 x 4.5-in How's 16 x 6 in. How's and 4 x 8in. How's), the Right Counter Battery Group (20 x 60 pounders) as well as 3 x 6-in guns and 2 x 190mm Railway Guns under the Corps Artillery HQ.

That's just the Heavy Artillery!

I hope this helps.

Mike Morrison

I've checked Siege and Heavy battery allocations and have found the following batteries which served in Salonika for the whole or part of the War.

Siege:- 43,84,127,130,132,134,138,205,209,292 & 320

Heavy:- 18,143,153,180,181,185,188,190,192 & 196

Stuart

I've checked Siege and Heavy battery allocations and have found the following batteries which served in Salonika for the whole or part of the War.

Stuart

Mike & Stuart: Thanks a lot for the help. Quite a few batteries... Oh well, if someone comes across a Lieutenant Dalziel, let me know. :)

Mike & Stuart: Thanks a lot for the help. Quite a few batteries... Oh well, if someone comes across a Lieutenant Dalziel, let me know. :)

Had a look at his LG mention, and it says he was in the Special Reserve. Does that help shed any light on the situation?

• 1 year later...
From "The Forgotten Fronts" etc. by General Farndale,

In 1916 for the beginning of the build up, there was: 20th HA Group, 37th HA Group and 75th HA Group listed as Army Troops (7 batteries of 60 pounders and 7 batteries of 6-inch howitzers) as well as 3rd Mountain Brigade and 4th Highland Mountain Brigade, which were also part of the RGA. Also listed later was the 61st HA Group.

By September 1918, for the final battles, there was a "HQ Heavy Artillery" under 12th Corps HQ which consisted of the Centre Counter Battery Group (16 x 60 pounders), the West Bombardment Group (20 x 4.5 How's and 20 x 6-in. How's), the East Bombardment Group (16 x 4.5-in How's 16 x 6 in. How's and 4 x 8in. How's), the Right Counter Battery Group (20 x 60 pounders) as well as 3 x 6-in guns and 2 x 190mm Railway Guns under the Corps Artillery HQ.

That's just the Heavy Artillery!

I hope this helps.

Mike Morrison

Mike,

Would you have a similar breakdown for the RFA? I am trying to find out what unit my Grandfather was is as the two unit numbers I have are not helping much. His Protection Certificate states Command as 715th brigade and Last Served 33rd brigade. I can't find anything about the first and the latter was part of the 8th Div. which did not serve in Salonika.

Any help appreciated...

Andrew

Stuart

424 Siege Battery also served in there, certainly during 1918. That, as far as I can gather, was the 4x8in Howitzer battery in the East Bombardment group in the final attack on "The Pips" in September 1918

Lieutenant John Dalziel, RGA

Prior to the war he was a teacher at Montreal Ch. School at Cleator Moor and belonged to the Cumberland (W.) Teachers Association.

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, RGA SR on 19 May 1917

Promoted Lieutenant, RGA SR on 19 November 1918

Embarked at Southampton for Salonika via Taranto on the transport Viper on 16 August 1917 and served in Salonika until the end of the war. As he did not embark with an entire unit he evidentially went as a single replacement. It is quite possible that he served at a headquarters rather than in a battery.

Gazetted a Chevalier of the Greek Order of the Redeemer and for the Greek Medal of Military Merit, 4th Class in the London Gazette of 24 October 1919.

After the war he joined the Territorial Army and was promoted to Captain, RA TA on 1 April 1925. At the time he was serving with 160 Battery, 54th (City of London) Anti-Aircraft Brigade, RA TA. He left the RA TA sometime in 1929.

Sources: National Union of Teachers War Record 1914-1919; Embarkation Rolls, WO25; various Army Lists; London Gazette.

Don't forget that there were several Anti-Aircraft Sections in Salonika and they also came under the RGA. I read recently, almost certainly on here, that foreign awards were rarely received for gallantry as such. The country involved gave a number of medals to their ally to distribute as they saw fit and British recipients were selected for "being jolly good chaps" so it isn't impossible that someone associated with an effective AA Section would get one.

Keith

Andrew,

I've checked Farndale's book and neither 33rd nor 715 Bde is mentioned. I have not seen any brigade with a number that high except in home service. There was 15 Brigade, one RHA and one RFA listed, but not a 715.

Mike Morrison