Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking CHARLES GRAVES 1st/6th Bn., Essex Regiment

Guest anzac

Hi,

Ive been able to collect the following information on my great uncle however i cannot find where or how he died. I'm desperatly seeking this information and anything would be of help.

CHARLES GRAVES

Private

1st/6th Bn., Essex Regiment

who died on

Wednesday 20 September 1916 . Age 21 .

Additional Information: Son of William and Elizabeth Graves, of 68, Colegrave Rd., Stratford. London.

Cemetery: ISMAILIA WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY Egypt

Grave or Reference Panel Number: A. 8.

Thanks.

Anzac - A check of the SDGW only revealed the following:

Enlisted in West Ham, Essex

Resided in Stratford, Essex

Cause of death: Died (this covers everything from old age through to heart attacks)

Theatre of War: Egypt.

Hi,

Thanks but what im really after is what he was doing where he was at the time? I cant seem to find anything. Was it a battle? Was it a desiese? Accident?

I desperatly need to know this is the last of my relatives that i know nothing about and must find out.

ANZAC,

Check the synopsis of the 54th (East Anglian) Division, on this site, for your Great Uncle's movements, which included Suvla Bay, Gallipoli (assuming he was present in the battalion at that time). Also take a look on this site at operations in and around Palestine for an impression of events in Egypt at the time in question.

The reference, in SDGW, to him having 'Died' as opposed to 'Died of Wounds' or 'Killed in Action' almost certainly suggests his death was due to so-called natural causes as opposed to enemy action - though as to what was happening in Egypt in September 1916 I'm not qualified to say. It may be worth dropping an additional post into the Other Theatres part of this forum and see if anyone responds.

Good luck in your research.

All the best,

Andrew