In WW1 The 5th Mahratta Light Infantry, had 5 battalions:

1. 1st Bn (103rd MLI).

2. 2nd Bn (105th MLI).

3. 3rd Bn (110th MLI).

4. 4th Bn (116th MLI).

5. 5th Bn (117th MLI).

So which one are you looking for ;)

And what do you want to know??????

I think that these guys may be Maratha. - although I'm willing to be corrected.

The Mahrattas fought mainly in Mesopotamia and were described as "the surprise of the Great War"

Their future in the Indian Army had been under review prior to the war, but their conduct ensured them a place

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/mli_chapter_9.htm

will give you a pretty full account of their history including the Great war

They are comparatively high caste Hindus from the area around Bombay, their buglers and bandsmen are drawn from other communities as they are not allowed to touch with the lips an instrument made by a non caste person

In WW1 The 5th Mahratta Light Infantry, had 5 battalions:

1. 1st Bn (103rd MLI).

2. 2nd Bn (105th MLI).

3. 3rd Bn (110th MLI).

4. 4th Bn (116th MLI).

5. 5th Bn (117th MLI).

So which one are you looking for ;)

Well,I am rather overwhelmed.If possible,I will be happy to know brief details of the of the actions of all of these.

Centurion,

Good 'action' pic - could be for real looking at the others running for cover in the trench-shelters.

I am interested in the strap attached to the Lewis Gun, or more accurately, the items attached to the strap.

What is the canavas bag? Perhaps a protective cover for the action when not in use? It does not seem large enough to hold spare magazines and there does seem to be a spare 'mag' also attached to the strap?

I can imagine the reasons for this, but would have thought that having such items dangling from the gun would make it harder to swivle and aim accurately with these swinging attachments acting as a counter weight?

Just idle curiosity on my part.

Ian

I think it might be some sort of improvised counterweight to balance the gun up

Centurion,

I am interested in the strap attached to the Lewis Gun, or more accurately, the items attached to the strap.

What is the canavas bag? Perhaps a protective cover for the action when not in use? It does not seem large enough to hold spare magazines and there does seem to be a spare 'mag' also attached to the strap?

I think it is a weight to counter vibration. The Lewis gun mounted as in the pic would be vibrating madly.

I think that these guys may be Maratha. - although I'm willing to be corrected.

An excellent picture! From the headgear it could be the Maratha Light Infantry,although this sort of "Pugree" or head gear is similar to what the North Indians also wear.Thanks!

The Mahrattas fought mainly in Mesopotamia and were described as "the surprise of the Great War"

Their future in the Indian Army had been under review prior to the war, but their conduct ensured them a place

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/mli_chapter_9.htm

will give you a pretty full account of their history including the Great war

They are comparatively high caste Hindus from the area around Bombay, their buglers and bandsmen are drawn from other communities as they are not allowed to touch with the lips an instrument made by a non caste person

Dear Madam,

Very kind of you to testify to the Maratha conduct in the war! However,our people-yes I also come from the State of Maharashtra in India to which basically the warlike caste of Marathas belongs- have always been brave e.g. in 1962 in Ladakh in Northeast India when facing the Chinese People's Liberation Army where they gave a grim reply to the Chinese and continued to man their posts till the end.The Regiment employs not only Marathas but also men from other castes also,with the notable exception of the Mahars-also a very brave and steadfast soldierly caste who have their own Regiment.You may also like to know that right in the early history of India-the Medival Perod- it was the the Marathas i.e. broadly the people of the modern day State of Maharashtra who resisted the foreign invasion of Islamic kings and founded their own kingdom under Shivaji.

Hi Rvsakhadeo

I can give you the names of the books to the MLI if this will help you.

1. A Brief History of the Mahratta Light Infantry by (Maj J.S. Barr) 1945.

2. History of the 1st Battalion 5th MLI (Jangi Paltan) 1930.

3. A Famous Indian Regiment, The Kali Panchwin, 2/5th (formerly the 105th MLI)1768-1923. by Col Sir R. Hennell. 1927.

4. Historical Record 110th MLI (now 3rd Bn 5th MLI) During the Great War 1914-18 by 1927.

5. Historical Record of the 4th Battalion of the 5th MLI. By Capt. A.R. Solly 1924.

6. 10th MIL Chronology of the 114th Mahrattas, 1922.

• 10 years later...

Available online, noting that at the time of writing, DLI is down, due to maintenance.

Cheers

Maureen