Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to identify regiment from Uniform

elmo29

Hi there

I have a photo, I am not sure its WW2 or WW1 - I think it may be WW1. I have tried to find out the regiment and I am getting nowhere. Does anyone know what the regiment is from the clips??

I am guessing the guy may be fairly important in status? I have the name Hoyland on the back - but other writing has be chopped off. Had a look through the medal cards but not been able to match him up to any.

Thanks!!

The medal looks like either a Volunteer or Territorial Decoration, but can't quite make out the cypher. Any chance of full length shot, as he's definately in one of the Corps hence the Royal Arms plate, but need to see if he has any collar badges. The "dress" going off the special woven belts would be "levee" dress, i.e. as worn in a sovereigns court, which wouldn't normally be seen on parade dress.

Graham.

The medal looks like either a Volunteer or Territorial Decoration, but can't quite make out the cypher. Any chance of full length shot, as he's definately in one of the Corps hence the Royal Arms plate, but need to see if he has any collar badges. The "dress" going off the special woven belts would be "levee" dress, i.e. as worn in a sovereigns court, which wouldn't normally be seen on parade dress.

Graham.

Photo added. I did think it looked like royal arms - but I couldn't find anything out about it

Thanks!!

Photo added. I did think it looked like royal arms - but I couldn't find anything out about it

Thanks!!

Hi no expert on this era around 1900, blue cloth helmet with ball is it Royal Artillery or Royal Engineers?

Jonathan

I am no expert but I have seen Royal Regiment of Artillery men wearing and holding the Helmet in the picture. The plate is slightly different though. There are two pictures I have but cannot seem to copy them and post to show you. The ball on top of the helmet I believe was changed in @1878 from a spike as it was deemed to dangerous for horses. There were still Regiments who wore the spike up until 1902-04. The picture I would say to be around 1900 maybe a little earlier.

Simon.

I may be wrong but I thought that the helmet plate for the RA had a gun somewhere on it at this period.

Squirrel,

I think you right. I have had a look at a Royal Artillery plate and it has a cannon at the bottom in the middle. This plate in the picture has a scroll which turns up in the middle where the cannon should be.

This is a cigarette card of the RGA about 1900, a bit small but hope it helps!

Regards,

Norman

Another give away that it's not artillery is that the tunic and trousers appear to be of a different colour, while the collar and cuffs match the trousers.

I'd wager that he's wearing a scarlet tunic and, like others, I'd plump for Engineers.

Just a guess.

Tom the Walrus

Simon and Walrus,

Based on the lack of a gun on the helmet plate and the difference in colour between tunic and trousers (overalls?) then it looks like RE.

Simon and Walrus,

Based on the lack of a gun on the helmet plate and the difference in colour between tunic and trousers (overalls?) then it looks like RE.

Simple elementary deduction my dear fellow! :D

Seph :)

The query on status (in the original post) has not been addressed. The full photo seems to show the shapes of a crown and pip on the epaulette. If so, a Lt-Col, but can others do better?

Daggers

It is my understanding that officers on the reserve / active retired / unemployed active list (but on the Army List) without an official attachment to a specific corps or regiment often wore this capbadge.

The medal looks like a Reserve Decoration (RD).

The uniform looks pre-Great War to me possibly Boer War era (1899-1902).

Here is a Artillery Volunteer helmet with the gun on it as stated in an earlier post. Hope this helps.

Mike Morrison

That style of tunic cuff was worn from at least 1876 to 1902.

That style helmet was worn from 1879 to 1914. Corps device on helmet is apparent.

The tunic and trousers do not match, hence not RA, Ordnance, Police, Pay, Veterinary, Medical, or Service Corps. (These Corps wore blue tunic and trousers)

Ball on helmet top indicates mounted duties.

No collar dogs!!!!!!!!!

Go figger........

DrB

:)

It's a Volunteer Decoration, George V, definitely. Puts it, therefore, between 1911-1914, as he's in full dress.

No-one has mentioned the buttons; they seem to be a star surmounted by a crown, which completely rules out Gunners or Sappers. With a seemingly scarlet jacket (and a lack of Grenades anywhere) he can't be ASC... Army Medical Staff? It's a Corps, anyway....