Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

how do I find a C.C.S?

celestine47

Hello,

I am trying to trace the c.c.s where my relative would have been taken. He was wounded in the trenches at Bienvillers and I wonder how far he would have had to travel?, he was a stretcher case because he was hit by shrapnel. where would the C.C.S be for this area?.

thanks crh

See:

http://www.1914-1918.net/ccs.htm

CCS's were about 10 miles behind the line. He would have been evacuated via a Regimental (i.e. battalion) Aid Post, then the Brigade Field Ambulance (meaning a unit not a vehicle) and then onto the CCS.

Steve.

See:

http://www.1914-1918.net/ccs.htm

CCS's were about 10 miles behind the line. He would have been evacuated via a Regimental (i.e. battalion) Aid Post, then the Brigade Field Ambulance (meaning a unit not a vehicle) and then onto the CCS.

Steve.

thanks, is there any way of finding out where the casualty clearing station would have been for the area around Bienvillers??, or do I just make a guess with a map and a ruler :( crh

crs , the best way i found to do this with my grandfather was to check his records at the National Archives at Kew . I was fortunate enough to have access to his 'casualty form' . Whilst i appreciate that not everyones records survived if your relatives did there is a good chance that there would be a similar form amongst these . The details on my grandfathers casualty form are attatched and as you can see they show an enourmous amount of personal information including what you are looking for . If just the ccs number is recorded it is just a matter of checking details on this website and i'm sure any additional information could be gained from the very helpful guys on the forum .I hope this is of help to you . If you require any help please don't hesitate to PM me . Steve .

post-4531-1177841362.jpg

crs , the best way i found to do this with my grandfather was to check his records at the National Archives at Kew . I was fortunate enough to have access to his 'casualty form' . Whilst i appreciate that not everyones records survived if your relatives did there is a good chance that there would be a similar form amongst these . The details on my grandfathers casualty form are attatched and as you can see they show an enourmous amount of personal information including what you are looking for . If just the ccs number is recorded it is just a matter of checking details on this website and i'm sure any additional information could be gained from the very helpful guys on the forum .I hope this is of help to you . If you require any help please don't hesitate to PM me . Steve .

God bless 'yer Steve thanks for your interest and reply. I had a historian research his records just recently and found that my grandfathers records were amoung those destroyed, would the medical cards be with these destroyed records ?, or kept elsewhere?, just in case I have missed something here

:unsure: bets wishes crh

crh , i'm no expert but as far as i'm aware they would have been together . Do you have a Regiment / Battalion with which he was serving when wounded ? Also a date when he was wounded may help to narrow it down a little , also if you post as many details as you know someone on the forum may be able to help . Regards , Steve . ;)