Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Btn Royal Highlanders (Black Watch)

Black Watch

Another two pics not sure if 4th or 4/5th Bn

We are 90% sure this is 200503 Pte John Gibb of the 4/5th KIA 28/07/1918.

not sure about group pic.

Gary I am persuaded that he is a possibility rather than the photo of the young man in the studio pic. :rolleyes: the latter photo is much later and and of a younger man. Gibb was mid 30s when killed.

Tom

Gary I am persuaded that he is a possibility rather than the photo of the young man in the studio pic. :rolleyes: the latter photo is much later and and of a younger man. Gibb was mid 30s when killed.

Tom

Hi Tom J.Gibb is g/grandfather of my wife he was 35 when KIA.The story goes that his wife Louisa sent his medals back in disgust,as told to us by Pams ( the Wife ) Grandad who added that he had never asked for or recieved his medals from WW2,he was a P.O.W.and was in the R.A.M.C,So on his passing away,I took it upon myself ( on behalf of the wife )to request from the M.O.D Office his medals and to ask for any info on John Gibbs medals,Two years and numerous letters the WW2 medals arrived but as for Johns they had no record of them being returned so do we live in hope that they are still out there and one day We Will find them?who knows stranger things have happened or is that as rare as United getting an unbiased ref? :lol: All the best and thanks Gary.

Hi Gary

Judging by John's medal card, it would not appear that his medals were returned. As normally there are some remarks/reference in the right hand column regarding the return of medals for 'whatever' reason.

I don't know if it is possible to have duplicates issued, but someone on the forum could possibly keep you right on this.

I live in hope that one day 'United' will get an unbiased Referee. :P

Do you think you will get along to the meeting on Friday, 11th July at the Royal Arch?

Gary,

Great pictures and many thanks for sharing them. I think that the first one is possibly the 2/4th or 3/4th Battalions, The Black Watch Territorial Force at Bridge of Earn, possibly early 1915.

Aye

Tom McC

Neil,

On one of the other threads we talked about the other sergeants killed in A Coy of the 4th, here's two of them: Hugh Jarron and Archie Troup. Archie was buried by his son.

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1214638204.jpg

Gary,

The group photo you have posted of the 4/5th Black Watch (wearing Tam O'Shanters - in rows in front of the building). Would it please be possible for you to post a larger photo of the front row? I will try, and give it a go, to identify some of the men in the photograph.

Aye

Tom McC

Gary,

The group photo you have posted of the 4/5th Black Watch (wearing Tam O'Shanters - in rows in front of the building). Would it please be possible for you to post a larger photo of the front row? I will try, and give it a go, to identify some of the men in the photograph.

Aye

Tom McC

Hi Tom is this any good?