Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow Patient Records Search?

snminc

Greetings to all,

Whilst continuing my reserch into my wifes gt.grandfather Gunner Donald MacFarlane believed to have served in the Royal Garrison Artillery. I have learned that he was treated at Stobhill hospital after being wounded by a shell burst in his right leg, arm & hand during the Battle of the Somme.

Does anyone know if there are any patient records surviving from this period as all attempts top date to find his Donald's Service Number have so far failed.

It appears his medals were lost during a house move in 1970 :(

Many thanks for taking the time to read this far

Very, very few hospital records survive I'm afraid, the local newspapers for the area your wifes G Grandfather lived in would be the best bet as this would probably warrant a mention.

I did a quick check on the National Archives and there only 3 Donald MacFarlanes listed in the RGA, all seemed to have survived the war. Here are the medal cards.

Medal card of MacFarlane, Donald

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Garrison Artillery 135760 Gunner

WO 372/12

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Garrison Artillery 365290 Gunner

Royal Garrison Artillery 6096 Gunner

WO 372/12

and

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Garrison Artillery 181966 Gunner

WO 372/12

You never know you might only have to download one as they are 6 to the page and only 17 Donald Macfalanes in the Army.

John

The buildings of Stobhill Poor Law Infirmary, Springburn were used to accommodated two Territorial General Hospitals during the war - Nos. 3 and 4 Scottish General. The only medical records of TF hospitals to survive, apart from those which form part of a man's service record, are those that have been retained at The National Archives as a sample, from 5 regiments/units. The five are:

The Leicestershire Regiment, Grenadier Guards, Royal Flying Corps, Royal Field Artillery, and Hussars.

These are not hospital records, but individual records for the men, wherever they were cared for, and the ones that I've looked at are fairly comprehensive, although it can be a real slog to find what you're looking for.

Sue

Many thanks for the advice offered. I'm going to visit Donald's two surviving daughters in a couple of weeks time so I'm hoping something may turn up with his Service Number.

S & M