Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial puzzle

LynnLyons

Yesterday, I discovered 2 of my grandma's 2nd cousins, who were brothers, had both been killed on the Queen Mary on 31st May 1916. Ordinary Signalman Alexander Havercroft, is on the Plymouth Naval Memorial, but his brother, Able Seaman John Havercroft, is on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial. Can anyone explain why if they died on the same day on the same ship, they aren't commorated on the same memorial?

Thanks

Naval personel lost at sea were included on the memorials at their manning ports. There were three : Chatham, Plymouth and Portsmouth.

Members of the Mercantile Marine are commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial in London

By " manning ports", do you mean, where they signed up for the navy?

I believe the manning port was where the rating carried out his training and was his onshore base before being assigned to a vessel. Where they actually signed up / enlisted would likely be near to their home at Scunthorpe.

I believe the manning port was where the rating carried out his training and was his onshore base before being assigned to a vessel. Where they actually signed up / enlisted would likely be near to their home at Scunthorpe.

Thanks for that, it makes more sense now. :)

• 10 months later...

In recent weeks I have been compiling a book on the War Memorial for my old school in Scunthorpe. One of the names that I have investigated is John Havercroft, though I was aware of his brother Alexander he does not appear on the school memorial for some reason (perhaps you may be able to explain why). I have also come accross a third brother, Fred. He was in the 1st/5th Lincolnshire Regiment reaching the rank of Sergeant and in 1915 was recomended for the Military Medal, though I can't find any evidence that he was actually presented with this award

Hi Steve,

969 Sgt. Fred HAVERCROFT (Recommended for Military Medal)

For consistent good work and devotion to duty, especially in the trenches, from 28/02/1915 to

13/10/1915 when he was severely wounded at the HOHENZOLLERN REDOUBT.

Submitted 14/06/1916; Awarded M.M. L/G 10/11/1916

Regards,

Steve.

P.S. If you have any further information regarding Fred Havercroft I would be very interested to add to my 5th Lincs database.

Steve45

I suggest you re-post this under 'soldiers' etc, with the surname and regiment in the heading. It would be more likely to catch the eye of someone with more info.

Daggers

• 4 years later...

Hi they both died at Jutland and are on Scunthorpe war memorial. I have photos of them at my blogspot in the 1916 section. Good photos very clear quite right John was 14 years old. my vlogspot is http://bartononhumberatwar.blogspot.co.uk/ The memorial plate is at the font of the museum If you need photos of this let me know