Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why in Tipperary?

Guest KeithJ99

I'm trying to do some research on my great uncle who was in the 11th Royal Irish Rifles. He died 24 October 1918 and was buried at St Mary's church in Tipperary. Since his family lived in Northern Ireland, does anyone have an idea of how he could have ended up there? Did they send wounded men to hospitals all around Ireland at the time?

Keith Johnston

Seattle, Washington

Keith

You have to remember that there was no Northern Ireland at that time. The whole of Ireland was part of the United Kingdom. Northern Ireland did not come into being until 1922.

Next-of-kin of men who died within the United Kingdom had the choice of burial location for their loved one but had to pay for transporting the body to that cemetery. Perhaps the n-o-k could not afford the transport back home after his death in Tipperary - either in hospital or when stationed there.

I'm trying to do some research on my great uncle who was in the 11th Royal Irish Rifles.  He died 24 October 1918

Just a thought...........hadn't the 11th Royal Irish Rifles been disbanded earlier in the spring of 1918?..........This would suggest that your Great Uncle was serving with another unit at the time of his death or had been in hospital long term