Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salisbury Jones - RE and Signals

Trebrys

I'm trying to locate the movements of Salisbury Jones, formerly a civil servant from North Wales who joined the Royal Engineers in 1917. He found himself with the Signals and was attached to the 154 Brigade Highland Division joining them in Abbeville on November 22 1917.

Would anyone have any information about the movement of this division during the period concerned? I believe he survived the war so I would be interested to know if anyone had any clues/ information about him.

Regards,

Trebrys.

• 1 year later...

No I'm afraid I didn't other than some letters from him and that he was possibly from Llanrwst.......my home town!

Regards,

Trebrys.

I'm trying to locate the movements of Salisbury Jones, formerly a civil servant from North Wales who joined the Royal Engineers in 1917. He found himself with the Signals and was attached to the 154 Brigade Highland Division joining them in Abbeville on November 22 1917.

Would anyone have any information about the movement of this division during the period concerned? I believe he survived the war so I would be interested to know if anyone had any clues/ information about him.

Regards,

Trebrys.

154th Brigade of 51st (Highland) Division were up to their necks in fighting in the vicinity of Fontaine and Cantaing on 22 November 1917 during the Cambrai Offensive.

I can't imagine he was with any unit of the brigade at Abbeville. Is it more likely he was on his way to join the brigade via Abbeville?

Bryn

Thanks for that Bryn. Will look again at what I have on him.

Best wishes,

Trebrys.

154th Brigade of 51st (Highland) Division were up to their necks in fighting in the vicinity of Fontaine and Cantaing on 22 November 1917 during the Cambrai Offensive.

I can't imagine he was with any unit of the brigade at Abbeville. Is it more likely he was on his way to join the brigade via Abbeville?

Bryn

This may or may not assist.

It is taken from the War Diary of the 1/8th Royal Scots,Pioneer Battalion to the 51st(Highland)Division.

From the 20th to 25th November they were working on the forward roads from Trescault through the Hindenburg Line then making tracks to Flesquieres,Ribecourt Road.

On the 20th the 401st Highland Field Company were also working on the road.

On the 25th the Battalion and the 404th Highland Field Company were attached to V Corps for work.

George

• 1 year later...
Guest marianfoster

Regards,

Trebrys.

Hi, I too am researching a Salisbury Jones born 1879 in Llanrwst and on the census as an articled clerk. He is maybe a cousin of my great grandfather. Is this the same person? His father was William Griffith Jones. Trying to tie up two families hope you have more info, any help welcome.