Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glatz Redoubt

jay dubaya

Hello to one and all... just wondering if anyone has photos of Glatz Redoubt past and present and what the trench map co-ordinates were, any help is always much appreciated,

cheers, Jon

Jon

Can't help directly (my photos are old-fashioned paper things and the scanners broke again). The best book on the area is "Montauban" in the Battleground Europe series. It has piccies and "then and now" photos of the area.

John

Thanks for the pointer John, just found a nice cheap copy on t'net. Don't suppose you have any info on Glatz, when it was constructed etc. any help much appreciated,

cheers, Jon :D

I second the recommendation for the 'Montauban' book. The thread on my 90th anniversary battlefields tour to the Somme in July 2006 includes a photo of us standing on the site of Glatz Redoubt during a walk retracing 30 DIV attack on 1st July 1916.

Thanks Mark, great thread and pics.

My Great Uncle Levi was a stones throw from Glatz when he was KiA in 1916 and would probably had a similar view of Montauban (or what was left of it) whilst busy shelling Longueval and Deville Wood. He is buried at Quarry Cemetery, Montauban, but was not there at the armistice. My aim being to find his first burial place and when he was finally laid to rest at the quarry,

cheers, Jon :D