Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information wanted on James Fenwick

moonloon

i am trying to discover the military career of my grandmothers brother James (Jim) Fenwick. i have been told that he won the military medal and the military cross and the creux de Guerre and that he served in the Norhumberland Fusiliers but i dont know which battalion. As an F i dont think his war record will have survived. Can anybody help ?

i am trying to discover the military career of my grandmothers brother James (Jim) Fenwick. i have been told that he won the military medal and the military cross and the creux de Guerre and that he served in the Norhumberland Fusiliers but i dont know which battalion. As an F i dont think his war record will have survived. Can anybody help ?

Hello

The only James Fenwicks that I can find on the Medal Index Cards are:-

4/1348 James Fenwick, but I think he was killed in action

4/3075 James, later renumbered 5/6998 and 242221. This James Fenwick won the MM with the 2nd Battn

but there is also 778 J Fenwick (who also served with RE)

MICs

post-4619-1177241064.jpg

post-4619-1177241122.jpg

4/3075, 5/6998 and 242221 James Fenwick seems a good bet

cheers

Mike

There are only four MICs for a James Fenwick in the RNF. Have you checked these? There are three corporals and one private. Unless he was promoted, he could not have been awarded the M.C. - this was only given to officers and (I think) sergeant majors.

There are only four MICs for a James Fenwick in the RNF. Have you checked these? There are three corporals and one private. Unless he was promoted, he could not have been awarded the M.C. - this was only given to officers and (I think) sergeant majors.

yes i realise that but have only the information i have been given. what would the chances be of him being promoted ? i suspect he only got the mm but what about the creux de guerre ? would he be on anybodies lists.

The simple answer to that is - I don't know. My understanding is that awards like the Russian Cross of St George (4th class) and the Croix de Guerre came up 'with the rations' and were given to deserving cases who may have merited a British award but were unlucky.

Moonloon,

Regarding which battalion James served in you've already answered your own question he originally served with the 1/4th BN,NF and was transferred to the 1/5th Bn,NF. While still serving with the 1/5th Bn he was renumbered with a new six figure T.F. number and then finally transferred to the 2nd Bn where he appears to have won the M.M. There is currently no evidence to show James Fenwick he won the M.C. with the NF, unless, as has been suggested he's been commissioned and transferred to another regiment. If he had a C-D-G, then it is possible that it could be a post war award as quite a few were issued after the war.

Graham.

Moonloon,

Regarding which battalion James served in you've already answered your own question he originally served with the 1/4th BN,NF and was transferred to the 1/5th Bn,NF. While still serving with the 1/5th Bn he was renumbered with a new six figure T.F. number and then finally transferred to the 2nd Bn where he appears to have won the M.M. There is currently no evidence to show James Fenwick he won the M.C. with the NF, unless, as has been suggested he's been commissioned and transferred to another regiment. If he had a C-D-G, then it is possible that it could be a post war award as quite a few were issued after the war.

Graham.

Graham thats great..where do you get the information from re what bttns he served with etc. Do you know any dates either of transfer or when he won the mm. i would like to try to find out as much as possible about him and where he served and have written to my aunt hoping she may have a photo of him in his uniform i could have a copy of.

Graham thats great..where do you get the information from re what bttns he served with etc. Do you know any dates either of transfer or when he won the mm. i would like to try to find out as much as possible about him and where he served and have written to my aunt hoping she may have a photo of him in his uniform i could have a copy of.

can anyone date the gazette which may make it easier to find more out about the award. i see the date of gazette is recorded as 65 and schedule 248037. Does this meen anything to anyone ? ?

Graham thats great..where do you get the information from re what bttns he served with etc.

Moonloon, why don't you take alook at the MICs I posted :blink:

Moonloon, why don't you take alook at the MICs I posted :blink:

Mike have looked at the MIC's with great interest but as a very interested newcomer i dont know as much as people like you and couldnt see a date on the index. Once i had a date i washoping i could see if anyone had access to the war diaries iof the 2nd bttln to get a date and perhaps find out a bit more. i dont suppose i will find out what he won it for but maybe you can always hope.

This probably explains why he was moved from the 1/5th to 2nd Battn :-

The 15th July 1918 entry states that the 1/5th Battn were disbanded and the men moved to other Battns

There is an accompanying report of a speech given to the Officers, NCOs and Men of the 149th Brigade thanking the men for their service and explaining that they will be sent to base and then posted on to other Battns

cheers

Mike

This probably explains why he was moved from the 1/5th to 2nd Battn :-

The 15th July 1918 entry states that the 1/5th Battn were disbanded and the men moved to other Battns

There is an accompanying report of a speech given to the Officers, NCOs and Men of the 149th Brigade thanking the men for their service and explaining that they will be sent to base and then posted on to other Battns

cheers

Mike

mike thats greati wonder when he transfered from the 1/4 bttn to the 1/5 bttln. and where both units and indeed the 2nd battalion RNF servrd

• 2 weeks later...
mike thats greati wonder when he transfered from the 1/4 bttn to the 1/5 bttln. and where both units and indeed the 2nd battalion RNF servrd

Having read the gazette, i believe this is the correct JAMES FENWICK as it gives his home as Tynemouth. I recieved a letter today from my great aunt (his daughter) who says she knows nothing of her fathers medals which would have proved it but told me of a painting of him her grandmother had and a card from the palace saying his was the youngest nco to serve in France (he was 18 when he enlistd). i would appreciate any comments or further info on this.