Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6760 Pte Joseph Hughes 16/Manchester, KIA 1/7/16

John_Hartley

I'm guessing a possible scanning or transcription error here. CWGC records him as being 19th Manchester.

All other information points to him being 16th Battalion - including SDGW, the Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour (which shows him as a member of No. 9 Platoon, "C" Coy); the Roll of Honour included in the 16th Battalion History and, in fact, his low service number points more than anything to a 16th man (19th are in the 11*** and upwards range).

Your advice please, Terry. Enough circumstantial stuff to put before the Commission?

John

John

Could you always quote the burial place with a query. There are two reasons for this...

(1) It saves me having to do it :D

(2) The first act is to check the original CWGC cemetery register to see if the entry bears the same possible error. If it does, it is a long standing issue but, if it doesn't, it is probably a scanning error. Both scenarios denote a different course of action to take.

In this case the original register shows him as 16 Bn meaning that the current entry either bears a scanning error (most likely) or has had a subsequent amendment.

I will report it for you.

i havent found any ref in the papers that says he was with the 19th,all the info i have on him confirms what john says

pte 6760 joseph hughes

16 poplar st,heaton mersey

worked at richie+eason,dickinson st,m/c

his brother L/cpl 6509 frank hughes,also 16th batt,B.coy,V platoon, was killed in action on 3-5-16,aged 25

both are in the 1914-15 star medal rolls for the 16th batt,[disembarked 8-11-15]

bernard

Bernard

Could you please let me know the source of your information - in particular the evidence that these two were brothers. I do know both came from Heaton Mersey

The reason I ask is that the Census does not show that Frank had a brother called Joseph. The Stockport newspaper says a brother attended his funeral - but he was called Robert. You would have thought that Joseph, if a brother, would have attended being in the same battalion.

I'm also interested in the source for the info about Joseph's address & employer. Neither are mentioned in the Stockport newspapers. In fact, there was no newspaper obituary for Jospeh, although there was for Frank.

TIA

John

sorry john,just seen this,not been on here for a few days,josephs picture and obituary were published in the M.E.N i cant find franks,joseph was connected to the congregational church+sunday school,he was also a member of the guild lacrosse club.

bernard

Bernard

Thanks, mate

Any mention in Joseph's obituary about Frank being a brother? I just can't connect the two from anything I have, other than they both lived in the Heatons.

John