Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trenches at Ypres

Guest Steve M

Greetings from the Great White North.

While in Ypres in November I was in the cloth hall in the museum and there was a video of a dig going on about a new piece of trench that had been discovered.

Is this the Yorkshire trench !

If so can someone bring me up to speed on the discovery and where exactly the trench is ?

My brother told me that alot of road works are going on and this is why the trench was discovered, is this correct !

So many questions, are they going to preserve it or just fill it in and put a road over the top !

Steve M

Steve

Also sounds like you might be referring to a recent discovery when developing a new motorway. Plenty of information here if you use the search facility. Try "motorway" .

John

Steve, Chris, John,

I do not believe there is a video in the In Flanders Fields Museum in Ypres (Cloth Hall) of the A19 motorway extension excavations (by the IAP).

However, last summer a glass cabinet was installed with photos and finds made in the Yorkshire Trench Dug-out in 1992. And a nice scale model of the dug-out. And ... a video showing footage taken in the dug-out. There is also a cd-rom nearby about the Boezinge Canal site, the Yorkshire Trench and the Dug-out.

But as far as I know the video does not show the Yorkshire Trench itself. Only the Dug-out.

Aurel