Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

50th. Bn. (Alberta Regt.)

Jim Gordon

The Canadian National Archives have successfully resisted all my attempts to get access to the on-line War Diary of the 50yh. Bn. (Alberta Regt.) Mind you the trouble may be at my end !

Can anyone tell me where this Battalion was during May 1917 and, more specifically, the 11th day? I know they were in the vicinity of Vimy Ridge but I would like more info if possible as my Uncle was KIA with them on that day.

Regards

Jim Gordon

I think I have a book at home that is a personal account of life with the 50th - it is still in publication. I cant remember title or author but will post details if this interests you (and if no one repsonds in meantime find out where they were in May 1917).

The book is Victor Wheeler's No Man's Land which has been reprinted by CEF books. Parts of it should be treated with some caution, I must say. But it is a good account.

The PRO/NA will also have a copy of the 50th Bn War Diary, by the way.

And in mid-May 1917 the Canadians were fighting around Fresnoy, near Arras.

This Forum never ceases to amaze me. Thanks to Signals, Paul and Peter for their replies. I shall certainly follow up on the Book Reference but to receive a copy of the relevant page of the Battalion's War Diary was something else again. I never knew where my Uncle was killed (he and his brother are remembered on the Vimy Memorial) and now I do! Thanks again.

Regards

Jim Gordon