Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Turton

moonloon

my great uncle James Turton was born on 6 January 1900. I understand he was called up at the end of the war but served in Ireland rather than France. i have had a quick look thru the medal card indexes and wonder if he served in the sth staffords as the family came from Bilston and that is the only local regiment with a james Turton in it. does anyone know what regiments were in Ireland in 1918 then perhaps i could match it with a name on the card index.

Medals are not my thing, so someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But I don't think service only in Ireland will have entitled him to any, so you wouldnt find him in the medal index cards.

John

Ireland was still part of the United Kingdom then...

thats interesting...how then do i trace his career in the army ?? which regiments would have been in the province in 1918 ?

thats interesting...how then do i trace his career in the army ?? which regiments would have been in the province in 1918 ?

Quickest way is probably to flick through the various regiment pages on the mother site. You'll be loking for the home service or garrison battalions. Going to be a bit of a needle in haystack job I reckon.

John