Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mont St.Eloi

Hi,just been sorting some snaps & found these of Mont St.Eloi,in viewing range of Vimy & Arras.

All I've found on the forum is for one of the same name nr,Ypres.This ones CWG dead are all WW2 but,deep in the recesses,I remember someone saying we had arty here in the 1st war.

Anyone any history on it please?Its a beautiful spot.PICT3637.jpg

PICT3638.jpg

PICT3639-1.jpg

PICT3640-1.jpg

Quite a striking profile; good photographs. There was a RFC aerodrome in the valley that lies below the towers, and I recall a tour guide telling me that the towers had provided the RFC with an observation point. I had the opportunity years back to climb within the tower, but declined on account of personal cowardice.

MC

Quite a striking profile; good photographs. There was a RFC aerodrome in the valley that lies below the towers, and I recall a tour guide telling me that the towers had provided the RFC with an observation point. I had the opportunity years back to climb within the tower, but declined on account of personal cowardice.MC

Thanks MIke,

I wouldn't have gone up there either :ph34r: .I didn't know about the RFC spot.Do you have a name for the field?

Ta,Dave.

Had a few picnics on the village green opposite with a few glasses of vin rouge of course. A nice spot with a good view all round.

Aye

Malcolm

post-129-1177000479.jpg

Just consulted Rose Coombs - she records that this was an Augustinian Abbey in the 7th century, but that the ruined towers are from the 17th century, and were all but destroyed by German artillery in 1914. Also it was an observation post used by Foch's army in 1915. She names the airfield site as the 'RFC Aerodrome of St Eloi'.

MC

Had a few picnics on the village green opposite with a few glasses of vin rouge of course. A nice spot with a good view all round.

Aye

Malcolm

post-129-1177000539.jpg

Mike,Malcolm,

thanks for your replies.I'm going to look into the RFC side to see which squadrons(or Escadrilles if the French were there before)served there.

As you said Malcolm,an excellent view so,if French o.p's/spotters were there,I reckon there's a good chance my Brit arty story was true.

Thanks again,Dave.

• 1 year later...

I am interested in the RFC airfield at St.Eloi. In fact I was standing on the site yesterday morning.

Does anyone have a map of the airfield or know and references (NA or otherwise) that I can check?

Many thanks

TonyE