post-19318-1176939950.jpg

54th Division .. 2,971

52nd Division .. 1,365

53rd Division .. 584

Camel Brigade .. 345

Anzac Mounted Divison .. 105

Imperial Mounted Division .. 547

Dear Mrs. ---

I am taking this opportunity of writing to convey to you my most sincere sympathy in your great bereavement, trusting, please God, that time has somewhat softened the blow. He was wounded the first time (machine gun fire) just before i fell, and was carried under cover by his comrades, and his wound dressed, with the first aid. Shortly after, during a change in the line, while --- was being carried to the rear, the party was caught by shell fire, resulting in the death of your son and two others who were carrying him, and badly wounding a fourth. In one fell stroke you lost a dearly beloved son, and i, three of my best and dearest lads. --- was a great favorite with all the officers and men of A Squadron - a good sportsman, and always willing to assist in anything that was going on; and, above all, a brave and fearless soldier. So please Mrs. ---, you will always let this console you, even in your darkest moments - that he died like a soldier and a man, fighting for many months and laying down his life in defence of the dear old flag, and all it represents. I have been in hospital ever since the battle - (i am now convalescent) - else should have written before. - Yours very faithfully,

James Loynes, Major,

OC A Squadron.

Remembering the 130 men and 8 officers of the 1/4th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment of 162nd Brigade, 54th Division killed in action at Gaza on the 19th. Also, seven further men who died of their wounds in the days following the battle.

Not forgotten.

Thank you.

Steve.

TO ALL THE MEN OF 163 BRIGADE, 54TH EAST ANGLIAN DIVISION

Those who died, and those who had to live with the memory of their loss.

TO ALL THE MEN OF 163 BRIGADE, 54TH EAST ANGLIAN DIVISION

Those who died, and those who had to live with the memory of their loss.

Gone but not forgotten.

Mate,

Can I say I think your figures given as:

Camel Brigade .. 345

Anzac Mounted Divison .. 105

Imperial Mounted Division .. 547

I think you'l find that the Imperial Mounted Div figures include the Camel Bde and are not just all ALH/NZMB or others.

I have made a study of the Camel bde casulties and include these from what I found are in a chapter of a book I am writting.

"Thus ended this tragic battle which had cost the Camel Brigade the greatest number of casualties suffered by Australian Mounted troops during the whole of the Palestine campaign and was only surpassed during the war with those suffered by the 3rd Light Horse Brigade at the Nek on Gallipoli were they lost 372 men out of 600 engaged. The Camel Brigade also lost the largest number of prisoners captured in battle during the campaign as well as the only Australian Mounted officer to be captured.

The total casualties for the Camel Brigade very from sources and range from 370 killed and wounded from Captain J.R Hall on Brigade staff to “Gulletts” Official history of 345, the British Official History lists all mounted troops together under the Imperial Mounted Division and give a total of 547, most of whom were from the Camel Brigade.

The Camel Brigade War Diary Annex for the Battle list the casualties for the period from the 19th to the 22nd April as three officers and 41 men killed, 19 officers and 271 men wounded with 1 officer and 39 men missing total 374. In the War Diaries, the 1st Battalion reported the loss two officers and 30 men killed and 10 officers and 154 men wounded with one officer and 16 men missing total 213, while the 3rd Battalion does not list their casualties and the AIF Casualty Return for period list over 300 Australian casualties for the Camel Brigade but these include all causes including Prisoners of War.

A search of the records showed that the Australians of the 1st Battalion lost at least 234 casualties with one officer (Captain Naylor) and 36 men were killed, 12 officers and 163 men wounded of which one officer (Lieutenant Hill) and eight men died from wounds. From the 1st Battalion a further 1 officer and 21 men were taken prisoner of which one officer (Lieutenant Fender) and 13 men were captured while wounded of which one officer and three men died from their wounds and a further three men died in captivity from cruel treatment or neglect.

The worst affected units in the 1st Battalion were the 2nd company which lost 15 men killed and two officers and 73 men wounded of which two men died of wounds and one officer and nine men taken prisoner of which one officer and five men were captured while wounded, of these one officer and one man died of their wounds while in captivity and another one man died from cruel treatment, this totals 100 casualties for the company from about 105 present.

The 3rd company lost one officer and 14 men killed and four officers and 49 men wounded of which four men died from wounds, there were a further 12 men taken prisoner of which 8 men were captured while wounded of which two men died from wounds and another two men died in captivity from cruel treatment, this totals 80 casualties for the company and 180 casualties from approximately 210 men in the two companies involved directly in the assault on Tank redoubt.

The Australians from the 3rd Anzac Battalion lost at least 88 casualties with six men killed, 3 officers and 74 men wounded of which five men died from wounds. The 15th NZ Company records show that one officer (Roy Priest) and one man (Ernest Boys) was killed while 21 men were wounded of whom one man (Robert Woods) died from wounds. To this total we must also add the Battalion commander Lieutenant Colonel De Lancey-Forth as wounded he was British.

The greatest loss in this Battalion was the 12th company which lost three men killed and three officers and 35 men wounded of which two men died from wounds, total 41 casualties.

The British 2nd Battalion reported the loss of eight men killed with three officers and 25 men wounded of which one officer (Captain Orchardson) and two men died from wounds. One officer (Captain Collier) was an Australian doctor attached to the Battalion.

The Hong Kong and Singapore Battery casualties were 1 officer (Lieutenant Chapman) and two men killed and one man died from wounds while other casualties were not reported, the Brigade Machine Gun Squadron did not report any losses.

The Brigade also reported the loss of 176 camels during the Battle.

A comparison between the British Infantry Battalions involved directly in the assault on Tank Redoubt show they lost the following casualties, the 1/5th Norfolk’s (TF) Battalion 5 officers (Captain’s Beck MC, Birbeck, Cubitt, Lieutenant’s Gardiner and Tebbutt) and 199 men killed in action with 1 officer (Lieutenant Hervey) and 17 men died from wounds while eight officers and 401 men were wounded and 4 officers and 29 men were reported as missing possibly prisoners or among the many dead.

The 1/8th Hampshire (Princess Beatrice’s) Battalion lost 7 officers (Captain’s Pittis MC, Seely, Lieutenant’s Hills, King, Pakeman, Ratsey, and Shelton) and 177 men killed in action with 11 men died from wounds, while 15 officers and 298 men were wounded and 3 officers (Lt’s Cox, Blofeld and Roberts) and 25 men were taken prisoner of which 1 officer (Lieutenant Blofeld) died from wounds while in captivity.

The 11th Light Horse Regiment reported 11 men killed and 6 officers and 47 men wounded with 1 man wounded and taken prisoner. These casualties include Major Bailey wounded and although heavy for a Light Horse regiment all of these losses were incurred against the Atawine Redoubt, none being recorded near the Khirbet Sihan.

Where as the Turkish casualties for the whole battle are recorded as 2013 with 402 dead and 1364 wounded and 247 missing, what the casualties were around Khirbet Sihan are unknown but the 53rd Turkish Division after this date had one of its regiments disbanded from the division and by the 3rd battle of Gaza had the 161st, 163rd and 79th Infantry Regiments."

I put the bit on the end to show that the Turks also suffered on this day we we should not forget them as we our own.

S.B

I put the bit on the end to show that the Turks also suffered on this day we we should not forget them as we our own.[/b]

Quite right and well done!!

Gareth

Steve, thankyou for sharing your research and for supplying a more detailed breakdown. I only had access to Gullets figures.

Thankyou also for the information on the casualty figures for those soldiers of the Ottoman Empire.

Lest We Forget.

- David.