Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Meaning of "T.C. Posted"

stevebooth2001

I've been researching Sgt John Cain, who served in France with the Machine Gun Corps (69th Company) and won the Military Medal in 1916. His record of service for 30.11.1916 lists him as "T.C. Posted" - with "T.C." entered under the 'unit' column. Does anyone have any idea what "T.C." indicates in this context?

I'm assuming it involved him being sent home, anyway. Sgt Cain was later discharged as no longer physically fit for war service (on 24.12.1917), and a note on the Silver War Badge roll shows him as wounded. I suppose it's possible that he was wounded during the action that earned him the MM, which was gazetted 9.12.1916.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Steve

TC = Training Course ??

Thank you for the suggestion, Max. Or it could be 'Training Camp' possibly?

I'm a bit doubtful about the thought of a wounded soldier being sent on a training course, but I suppose you never know...

Steve

Thank you for the suggestion, Max. Or it could be 'Training Camp' possibly?

I'm a bit doubtful about the thought of a wounded soldier being sent on a training course, but I suppose you never know...

Steve

Training Company?

stevem

I've been researching Sgt John Cain, who served in France with the Machine Gun Corps (69th Company) and won the Military Medal in 1916. His record of service for 30.11.1916 lists him as "T.C. Posted" - with "T.C." entered under the 'unit' column. Does anyone have any idea what "T.C." indicates in this context?

I'm assuming it involved him being sent home, anyway. Sgt Cain was later discharged as no longer physically fit for war service (on 24.12.1917), and a note on the Silver War Badge roll shows him as wounded. I suppose it's possible that he was wounded during the action that earned him the MM, which was gazetted 9.12.1916.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Steve

Tank Corps?

Tank Corps?

Is that feasible, do you think? The Tank Corps wasn't formed until 28.07.1917 - eight months after Sgt John Cain was posted "T.C."

Steve

It was just a guess Steve, mainly based upon the fact that the Tank Corps started out life as the Heavy Branch of the Machine Gun Corps.

You really need a Tank expert to say when the term "Tank Corps" was first used. Maybe even unofficially?