Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Awarded a CGM

simon2

Afternoon,

I have recently acquired information (from a recently found member of the family)

of another member of my family who was awarded the CGM in Nov 1914.

This was the same action that Commander H.P.Ritchie won his VC at Dar-es-Salaam.

His name was PO T.J.Clark.

What I wish to find out is :-

Was the CGM named ?

Are there any citations, medal cards, rolls for this medal ?

Where does it lie in reference to other gallantry medals ?

Was it a Navy award and/or the Army equivalent ?

I have read a contemporary report of the action in a local paper and a published account

but would like (if possible) see official paperwork, accounts.

Regards,

Simon.

London Gazette 9/4/15 contains:

"To receive the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal

For services at Dar es Salaam, 28th November,

1914—

Thomas James Clark, Petty Officer, 1st Class,

O N 178489 ( R F R , Dev , B /1535)

Petty Officer Clark was Coxswain of

HMS "Goliath's" steam pinnace. He

was wounded, but gallantly returned to the

wheel to which he stood until the boat was

out of gunfire"

The CGM was exclusively awarded to Navy/Marines (there was a separate CGM Flying in WW2, I think) and was equivalent of DCM.

And yes, the CGM would have been named to him with his number, rank, date of action and ship (and possibly action?)

Interesting to read the role of George Edward Upton winning the DSM, thanks for that!

The Admiralty file relating to the case should be found using the ADM 12 indexes see this explanation.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...c=70047&hl=

The medal roll is in ADM 171/61 and I think there is a CGM roll in the Navy List (the CGM was rarely issued). There may also be information in Ritchie's VC file in WO 32, if it survived. There will be details in the Official History and possibly in the Times History or War Illustrated etc.

Clark entered service in around 1894, and if he received other campaign medals you will have to cross reference his list of ships with those taking part in the colonial wars.

Gentlemen,

Domwalsh very useful and answered my questions.

Also thanks for the paper snippet.

London Gazette 9/4/15 contains:

"To receive the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal

For services at Dar es Salaam, 28th November,

1914—

Thomas James Clark, Petty Officer, 1st Class,

O N 178489 ( R F R , Dev , B /1535)

Petty Officer Clark was Coxswain of

HMS "Goliath's" steam pinnace. He

was wounded, but gallantly returned to the

wheel to which he stood until the boat was

out of gunfire"

The CGM was exclusively awarded to Navy/Marines (there was a separate CGM Flying in WW2, I think) and was equivalent of DCM.

And yes, the CGM would have been named to him with his number, rank, date of action and ship (and possibly action?)

Kevin,

I have paid for his records online but I am having difficulty with the download. It has happened before (but rare) it may be down to my ageing computer.

Glad Andrew has been able to gain from this post.

PAPMPT

I will cross referance as you have mentioned or I might trawl through a few medal roll books I have for the Navy and Marines.

The Admiralty file relating to the case should be found using the ADM 12 indexes see this explanation.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...c=70047&hl=

The medal roll is in ADM 171/61 and I think there is a CGM roll in the Navy List (the CGM was rarely issued). There may also be information in Ritchie's VC file in WO 32, if it survived. There will be details in the Official History and possibly in the Times History or War Illustrated etc.

Clark entered service in around 1894, and if he received other campaign medals you will have to cross reference his list of ships with those taking part in the colonial wars.

If I might add that it astounds me how I have never had a question unanswered form the experts here on the forum and I am indebted to all who have contributed.

Regards,

Simon.

All part of the service!

if you've got them, here's a chance to use them! There are some of the colonial wars not covered though so that's a 'British Battles & Medals' cross check and then medal rolls in ADM 171.

If it has Traced Med or medal on his records, that means he wasn't caught and got a Long Service Good Conduct Medal.

Thanks again.